• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Problems with Alloy USA axle lock kit

nicpaige

NAXJA Forum User
I recently installed a Alloy USA axle lock kit for manually locking in my front axles 2000XJ but 1991 front axle. Followed all the directions and everything went smooth except this thing is a bear to actuate. The cable and actuator are installed correctly I just cannot believe the operation should be this stiff. Has anyone else had or experienced using one of these and was the operation of the cable really stiff? It does operate but not without some muscle. Thanks

is this a manual actuator for a disconnect axle? though i'm not familiar with the specific product. i would disconnect the axle end of the cable to see if the resistance is in the cable, the CAD mechanism, or even the shift lever, and then go from there.
cables tend to bind if the bends are too small diameter. refer to the MFG if they suggest a lubricant or not.

With the vacuum disconnect (or the cable lock) , you have to be moving for the splines on the two parts of the passenger axle shaft to match up, allowing the collar to slide over, locking them together. 20 feet and a couple of zigzags for me with the vacuum actuator to be sure I'm really in 4wd.

If the rest of your XJ is a 2001, most importantly the transfer case, you can permanently couple the cad axle and forget about it.

go to a Junkyard and pull a long side shaft out of a disconnect housing.

Back