• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

First Timer Build

KBeast666

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys, I'm new to the forum and new to off-roading, but I've been an auto tech for 10 years the first 3 working at a Dodge dealership. I've wrenched on Jeeps before but I just bought my first a few weeks ago after years of wanting one. It's a 1998 Cherokee Classic 4.0L Auto w/ 179k on it.

I've been reading up on tech articles in magazines and reading/searching the forums for a while now, but I wanted a few opinions on my build before I pull the trigger on buying parts. Like most I want to keep it relatively inexpensive, but I'm willing to spend the money (within reason of course) if it's worth it. I want it to be daily driveable (I have another car as a daily driver) and capable off-road (I guess you could call it an expedition style build). The first 5 upgrades I listed below I will be trying to do all in one shot within the next few weeks, the rest will come as my budget allows. Anything you would change?

1) Rubicon Express 4.5" Super Flex Lift Kit w/ Mono Tube shocks (more than I wanted to spend originally, but seems like the best value overall from what I've read)
2) Pro Comp 7069 15x8 wheels (I prefer the look and the lighter weight over steel wheels)
3) 33x12.5x15 tires - (Hard to decide what to get since it seems like reviews for the same tires are night and day between 2 people)
- General Grabber AT2?
- Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac?
- Pro Comp Xtreme AT?
- Dick Cepek Fun Country or Mud Country?
- Any other suggestions?
4) Trim Fenders to fit 33's (Will probably add Bushwacker Flares later)
5) SYE and CV driveshaft (Rusty's has AA SYE and Tom Woods shaft for $480 - seems like a good deal, but I hear Rusty's has bad customer service)
6) Frame Stiffeners
7) Steering upgrades (ZJ tie rods, steering box brace)
8) Motive Gear 4.56 Package
9) Locker(s) - Thinking Aussie Locker(s), but I'm not sure yet. I would love selectable lockers front and rear, but that's a large investment.
10) Front bumper
- Smittybilt w/ Quadratec winch -OR-
- Rusty's Off road front bumper
11) Rear bumper (possibly with swing out tire carrier)
- Smittybilt -OR-
- Rusty's off road rear bumper
12) Body armor/skid plates
13 & up) ????

Thanks in advance for any advice and suggestions you guys might have.

Tires - I'd go with the Duratracs, from that list. It has by far the most positive reviews from people I actually know.

I agree with the things you listed, but do not have an experience-based opinion on anything else you are teetering on. I love having a swing away carrier. I went with the slimline from detoursusa.com, and I have many good things to say about it after 7 years of use.

Sounds good. Make sure you add rocket guards to that list, they function as steps, and you can use them to pivot yourself around obstacles.

Everyone I know who has ran bushwhackers hates them after a while, they're big, bulky, and crack really easy. Not to mention they're way overpriced. I have Napier precision flares in mine, I think they look much better than bushwhackers, but they still give me problems. I need to trim them a bit, my tires rub em at full flex and it's starting to bend my fender.

X2 on the duratracs. I've heard nothing but good from em. I'd buy em if I had the money for new tires.

With bumpers it's really about preference. I really like aj's offroad slikrok bumper, though I have a smittybilt xrc that I got for Christmas. It looks great and I have yet to hit it on anything.

Pretty much everything I just mentioned can be found at aj's off-road. I have their rocker guards and bought flares from em, other than that I have no relation to then.

I've heard a number of folks say the stock steering on XJ's is junk when big tires are added to the mix. I'm happy with the Currie steering I added - I can't imagine it will ever fail me.

Duratracs from that list and for bumpers look into nates and logans bumpers as well. As for lockers aussie lockrite and spartan are my vote for good with low price. Currie is definitely nice steering as well. Flares have many options, bushwhacker cutout, flat, napier, rustys, tube, and whatnot. lawn edging material can be used to make nice flares also if you do a good job.

I've heard a number of folks say the stock steering on XJ's is junk when big tires are added to the mix. I'm happy with the Currie steering I added - I can't imagine it will ever fail me.

The stock tie rod is junk (thin, hollow tubing) and should be replaced with an after-market or ZJ V-8 tie rod, if on a budget.
The Curry steering is very nice too, if you have the extra bucks.

Thanks for the suggestions and opinions. Looks like I'm gonna go with the Duratracs. Also, thanks for pointing out different bumper and fender flare options, as I hadn't heard of those companies until now.

1 piece together a lift, go with clayton or rockkawler longarm.
2 do not run 33's on stock gears, the 4.0 will be a complete dog without regearing.
3 Performanceoffroadcenter's SYE kit is the best bang for the buck.
4 Rusty's offroad sells about 2 things that I would by and they're only fab parts(pm me and I'll explain why).
any other questions feel free to ask, I live in the same state and know of some good resources for parts in this area.

Don't overlook BFG A/Ts. They have gone places pitbulls, TSLs, and Goodyear mtrs have gone. Great in the snow and if you air down good they will handle the rocks with out too much trouble. I run 33x10.5s and they feel great on the highway. They only stick out a tiny bit out of the front fenders so then you wouldn't have to spend money on lame bushwackers. North Carolina doesn't have any laws about tires and fender coverage but I rarely ever see them. Also just pull a front driveshaft to run your SYE. Use that money elsewhere. Learning how to weld saved me a lotttt of money. Maybe put a welder early on that list?

Good luck

Don't forget/overlook recovery points. I would not suggest leaving the pavement without them, especially with our unibody rigs. Iron Rock Offroad makes prob the sturdiest front recovery system short of adding a front bumper. It attaches with grade 8 hardware at 8 locations on the unibody and also ties the two frame rails together up front. As far as the rear is concerned a hitch will work. In my case I did not have a hitch and it wasn't too much more for a rear bumper, so I went with OR-Fabs tube bumper. The duratracs are a solid choice. Best of both worlds as far as choosing between an AT and MT. For lift make sure to check out the long arm lift that Serious Offroad put together. It comes with an SYE and DS and EVERYTHING else you need to have a complete well functioning lift. I wish I had gone that route because after all is said and done with buying suspension components I spent prob the same amount that the long arm lift costs and ended up with a less capable, less thought out suspension. Think twice and spend once. Enjoy the XJ! Welcome to the club!

Put mini skids on your axle LCA's before you get in the rocks and spread them. Move the frame stiffeners to the upper end of your list. Also if you don't do long arms, get drop brackets.

The 3 ZJ parts you need for the steering I just bought 3 days ago from AutoZone all for under $100 with tax. These 3 are all that are needed for the upgrade.

Part #'s are

ES3096L Short Tie Rod $29.99
DS1312 Long Tie Rod $34.99
ES2079S Sleeve $21.99

With the lift your doing and that size tire IMHO I would bump this toward the top when you do the lift.

I agree with some of the others you should reconsider and think about a Long Arm Kit.

1) Rubicon Express 4.5" Super Flex Lift Kit w/ Mono Tube shocks
2) Pro Comp 15x8 wheels
3) 33x12.5x15 tires
- Any other suggestions?
4) Trim Fenders to fit 33's
5) SYE and CV driveshaft
7) Steering upgrades (ZJ tie rods, steering box brace)
9) Locker(s)
10) Front bumper
11) Rear bumper
12) Body armor/skid plates
13 & up) ????

ive already built most of your rig for you...

1185305_533988469988907_1370603272_n.jpg

1236785_537410309646723_1894932531_n.jpg

my suggestions...
- gas tank skid
- Tcase skid
- new crossmember (depending on your style of Tcase skid, its only as strong as the crossmember its bolted to)
- drop bracket (longarms will take car of this and the crossmember issue)
- shackle relocation brackets
- MTRs... 33 or 35" flavor.
- bump stop appropriately
- real steering (the ZJ stuff just has not lasted for me, from day one)

1376533_545783072142780_776610750_n.jpg

I didn't read everyone else's response s but 2 things duratracs are a very grippy tire but the side walls are very weak. I have personally seen 3 blow out with very little reason and know of 2 other occasions of the same.

And 2 bushwackers tend to brake off easily. Espesialy in the tight trails you will see in the NE. If you need flairs for inspection I'd try RustyS flex flairs or if you really want the bushwhacker look then naipier I think.

Welcome. And get involved in your local chapter theres a lot of wheeling that goes on in New england. You just have to know the right people.

Oh I almost forgot. Stay away from nates4x4 I have his rear bumper. Sure it was cheap but it took forever to receive. He doesn't respond to calls or emails. And I wasn't happy with the fit or quality.

I didn't read everyone else's response s but 2 things duratracs are a very grippy tire but the side walls are very weak. I have personally seen 3 blow out with very little reason and know of 2 other occasions of the same.

And 2 bushwackers tend to brake off easily. Espesialy in the tight trails you will see in the NE. If you need flairs for inspection I'd try RustyS flex flairs or if you really want the bushwhacker look then naipier I think.

Welcome. And get involved in your local chapter theres a lot of wheeling that goes on in New england. You just have to know the right people.

This only Rustys no longer sells the flexy flairs, so I've been eyeing there regular flairs, BW take way to much quarter panel realestate and my second choice would be napier.

Back