• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broken steering box spacer

SkinnyRidgeMJ

NAXJA Forum User
Seems Like a very common problem up here in the rust belt. Found on bad today and didn't have a replacement. Heres how I made one.

Broken spacer.

This is what was it looked like after removal.

Cut out a 3/16 plate. Grabbed a xj control arm bushing sleeve.

Cut sleeve into 3 equal pieces.

Mark and drill plate by holding it against the frame and run a Sharpie though the mounting bolt holes. bolt plate and spacers to box with shorter bolts. Then tack spacers to plate. Remove and fully weld. Paint and install.

Make sure it ends up the same thickness as it did before... you have custom steering so it may not be as much of an issue for you, but when I did something similar and made it maybe 1/4" too tall (well, 1/4" taller than it needed to be to clear a Durango box) I ran out of adjustment space in my drag link, so my steering wheel isn't centered.

This is less advise for you and more for anyone with stock-ish front suspension/steering that follows this guide. I like it, good work and interesting idea using LCA bushing center sleeves. They work out to be a bit oversize (7/16" ID vs 14mm/9/16" ID), but it's not like it's going to matter since they seat against a milled cast iron surface anyways.

Back