• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle Swap How-To? D60 front/14B rear

Lake919

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys, I have a 2001 XJ, I picked up recently with 56k original miles. I am going to be setting it up for my upcoming move to Moab. I want to put a D60 Ford axle in the front and a 14B in the rear. My question is, how difficult is this to do? Are there any how to's or threads you know of that really shows how to build up these axles to fit? I plan on running 37's and go with a 6.5" lift. Any advice with my plans would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Mike

Yeah, there's a 10 step writeup on instructables.com. Just be careful on step 7.

search, search, search. You'll need to have an understanding of what you're doing. Also, there are a lot of flavors of d60's so there isn't going to be a instruction manual. Mounting the axles under the jeep is only a small part of the battle, you'll have to tackle steering, suspension, and track bar.

My advice - take it to Moab just like it is, wheel it, talk to the locals, talk to M4O (local fab shop) and see what makes sense for you. Jumping right in to a D60 / 14b, 6.5" & 37s is a BIG step. Not to mention, you are going to want a roll cage, and unibody reinforcement, and braces, and....
Start with skid plates, beat on it, go from there.
Oh, and eat at Milt's. It's a damned good burger place that I used to work at. BC and Nellie are really good folks and you can't beat the burgers.

Welcome and congrats on scoring such a low-mile rig!

I can see the value of going straight to ton axles for strength and durablity, but I can't think of a many Moab area trails that a full body rig would need 37s. I've wheeled them with 33's.

Area BFE has some trails that 37's would be beneficial, but these are buggy type trails where you probably don't want to take a low-mile rig.....if you care at all about the body.

Just do it. If you are considering 37's, don't waste time or money on smaller axles. The 14b is super simple, it's just leaf spring perches. The front is more difficult, but it's basically just axle brackets. Buy a bracket kit built for an xj, take some measurements, and weld it in. Run them full width and run some offset wheels to keep the width from being too wide.

Factor in to your plan that Utah has tire coverage laws that will likely require adding flares to run full width axles

Thank you all for the suggestions and help I greatly appreciate it. Yossarian I have been to Moab 4 times in the past 18 months just to play in rental jeeps and explore and Milts is honestly one of my favorite places to eat, along with Love Muffin and the Moab Diner. I normally rent an extreme rubicon while there, which sits on a 5.5" lift and 35's and it handles things pretty well. The main reason I am wanting 37's and tons is because I know once I get there the bug is going to get ahold of me hard core and I really don't want to just keep swapping axles. I am not going above 37's on an XJ, I will eventually be buying a Rubicon and building it up but I love my XJ and primarily want it for camping and exploring. My girl got me an Autohomme roof tent for Christmas so anywhere we can park we can sleep.

The only reason I was even looking at this axle combo is because my neighbor has a D60 off a 1978 F350 and a 14B just sitting in his garage from a project he was going to tackle but his wife is soon to have a kid so toys are rapidly disappearing and I have been offered the pair for 250 bucks.

For 250 I would buy the axles.
TNT makes a truss for the front axle and that will allow you to weld it on and it will be able to bolt in kind of. But you will be into the axle far more than the 250 your starting with. What would your plans be for them? Solid locked front and rear? Arbs front and rear? Grizzly or detroits?
You will need stiffeners at least and what are you going to do for steering?

My plans were going to be either ARB or Detroit lockers, Coilovers, As far as steering goes I am open to suggestions, I have heard a Durango steering box is capable of handling it? Like I said I am new to this but I am mechanically inclined and I have a full workshop now and will when I move as well. Plasma cutter, Mig welder, CNC table, air compressor and tools and a lift

My plans were going to be either ARB or Detroit lockers, Coilovers, As far as steering goes I am open to suggestions, I have heard a Durango steering box is capable of handling it? Like I said I am new to this but I am mechanically inclined and I have a full workshop now and will when I move as well. Plasma cutter, Mig welder, CNC table, air compressor and tools and a lift

I barely am doing a 44 front so
I'm running a Detroit front and powertrax rear locker and doing ruff stuff steering. With the west Texas pump mod and stock box.

A locked/geared xj with stock axles and 35's will generally do better than a rubicon in most situations IMO. I have a d60/14b with 37's and 37's are a bit small for those axles. I wish i went 40's.

Buy the axles!

A stock box will handle the 37s for a good while. I would do hydro assist and port the stock box.

If it where me, I'd cut down the axles... Makes for less headaches for safety in Utah. Even if you can get it done, UHP will ticket you. And personally I think 8" flares look funky. :p

You'll want to stretch the rear axle a bit and cut/tub the fenders. Also it's best to push the front forward some and cut those fenders nice and high

It's work but I enjoy my 37s. I wouldn't go any bigger on a street legal XJ and for a daily driver would probably stick to 33s, maybe 35s... But that's me.

Honestly though, if you're looking at a JK and want this for camping/expo type stuff, beef up the stock axles and go to 33s.

Those axles will not work for your rig, Way too much work. and I'm pretty sure I read they are illegal in Utah. Just stick with the Stock Axles. I'll come pick up the D60/14B and Haul them off for you no charge.

So, you working oil / gas industry? Or in hospitality? Public lands? I can't think of much else that draws people to move to Moab... I mean, I did it to wash dishes & party, ride bikes & climb, but that's a 20-something move...

I am a Truck Driver/Derrick operator, so I can honestly work anywhere I please. I just really love Moab. My girl is a nurse and will be working at the Hospital. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on buying the axles. They are sitting in my garage now as we speak. I mean, hell for $250 bucks I look at them as an investment. If nothing else I will clean them up and sell them for a profit. Then I can just use that cash to truss the factory axles, swap in some better shafts and run 35's and call it a day. I still think I want to run tons but you never know what will happen.

Just buy a bunch of cool parts and wing it, that's all I did. Go look in the Adv Fan section for ideas. Oh yeah, don't listen the haters about 37's and a 14b. Mine has more clearance then my HP60, they're not that bad with only 37's.

Back