• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

squeaky bearing on a/c. replaceable?

MrAnderson

NAXJA Forum User
hello everyone and thanks for looking,

first things first: 2000xj, 156k on the clock, 4.0. So my heeps been whining a bit like a bearings going out in the belt route. seems like it only does it warm but then again every once i awhile it does it cold. today i (finally) took my belt off and started spinning bearings around and discovered that when i spin the a/c bearing it squeals and just plains feels ugly so i think i found my problem.

this lil guy here.

So i go to undo the nut on the front (which is the clutch?) and i spun that one around a bunch with my handy wrench and no squeaking. so onto to my question. Can i just replace the outer ring or do i gotta get a new clutch(?)? or possible am i completely wrong and should just return to trying to torch this damn blankie outta my rear latch?

A clutch rebuild kit isn't that expensive.

A clutch rebuild kit isn't that expensive.

The new ones don't rebuild like the old ones. The Bearing is "Staked in" as opposed to a clip. Somewhere around here I posted up how to put a old pulley on a newer unit. That was a while ago, so it's probably way back in the pile ;)

-Ron

My 2001 's A/C pulley bearing recently went south, for the second time, and I was able to press it out, with a hydraulic press, and install a new bearing.
The housing isn't very strong and can be bent if not done properly, as I found out with the original.
Found the bearing on Ebay. Both the old and new bearing were very tight fits, not requiring staking. I painted theinside of the pulley's bore with Locktite to lock the bearing in.
Removing the pulley from the compressor was a challenge, it did not want to let go.

I had the clutch/pulley wear out and almost freeze up while we were out of town this past summer on my wife's KJ. I found out that the AC Clutch and Pulley are replaceable and you don't even need to open up the Compressor or lines. A pulley puller, snap ring pliers and a few tools are all that's needed.

Here's a link to the work for the KJ, but the Sanden AC compressor's are almost the same (as in my wife's '03KJ and my '01XJ)

http://www.sparkys-answers.com/2009/03/2002-jeep-liberty-intermitent-ac.html

Hopefully this helps. I believe I got the parts via Amazon for the KJ and total cost to do the work was ~ $200 ... a LOT less than replacing the AC Compressor and all that goes along w/that. Let us know how it turns out.

Alright, got a box to ship both pulleys in. (Small flat rate won't even fit one)

Pm me with an address I can ship them to

Check your belt tension while you are working on it. Bearing load is a huge factor in bearing life. You want the belt only tight enough not to slip. Better to chirp the belt once or twice and snug it up than to tighten the heck out of it and put the wear on your accessories.

Back