• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

95 trouble code 76 WTH

So lets go 95 ax-15 lots of miles plenty of issues Ive been trying to figure out for months why my rig is running rich now its cel comes and goes so I checked it with the on off x3 and it says 12-76-55 I checked like 9 times to make sure I wasnt miss counting. Where the hell is the fuel ballast relay? Is it the relay in the fuse box or is it else where. I changed the relay in the fuse box and it changed nothing and it burn your eyes when your in my rig I bet its much worse riding behind it. I also Know they stopped using the old style ceramic type in around 94-95 because my 93 has one. Any help would kick ass as I am sick of driving my commuter for everything.

There is no ballast resistor on a 95; pretty sure that 93 was the last year. Not sure what code 76 might be caused by as I've never seen it before. Maybe someone with personal experience will chime in.

Generally speaking, for a rich mixture.....here are a few things to check. Know that the OBD system has plenty of "escapes", meaning you can have issues that are not picked up by the OBD system.

1. Fuel pressure. Should be 31 psi at idle. Then disconnect the vacuum line leading to the fuel pressure regulator and the pressure should jump to approximately 39 psi. Be darn sure that there is no raw fuel in the vacuum line leading to the fuel pressure regulator; that would indicate a ruptured fuel pressure regulator.

2. Map sensor. Test it. You'll need a meter and a manual. This sensor is directly involved with fuel/air ratio.

3. Coolant temp sensor. If these get futzed up, they can provide incorrect input data to the computer and you'll end up with either rich (or lean) fuel mixture.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Last edited:
.......Be darn sure that there is no raw fuel in the vacuum line leading to the fuel pressure regulator; that would indicate a ruptured fuel pressure regulator.......
That would be my best guess too.

The 76 is a generic OBD I code and probably applies to
other vehicle mfgs, instead of Jeep. It might disappear
once the rich mixture is eliminated, however...

7+6 equals 13 and that would fit with the rich running motor. Maybe it is just an odd pause in the count and it isn't 76 but 13.

I copied a code list out of a 95 FSM (a very long time ago) and it only goes up to code 63????

If it is in fact 13 and not 76, I'd check the vacuum opening in my MAP, it may be plugged shut with gunk. It may be a compületely dead MAP or hopefully just a plugged vacuum opening.

Last edited:
Alrighty so I changed my Manifold temp sensor and let my rig idle for like 15+ minutes up to operating temp hit my E fan and it dropped back down super fast unlike the past 2 years. I also noted no more eye burning gas smell but I havent drove it yet becauseIve got a couple other things to take care of first so Ill report back in a few.

Last edited:
Sounds like you are on the right track, but double check your ECU part number and make sure it is actually for a 95. Someone may have swapped in an earlier OBD1 ECU if they blew one up before you bought it. The earlier ECU may be pissed about not seeing a ballast resistor, I forget exactly how they're wired up or if the ECU can detect that.

My 95 is obd 1(Oct 94 production date)and the ecu pooped out years ago so it ha the one from my 93. The issues are fixed I must have been stoned thinking the temp was better I Drove it about 60 miles yesterday and the gas smell is gone :laugh3:. Also fixed my other lame stuff like seat belts locking up and alt taking a poop. Did a full tune up and I can't believe how rough this thing has been running Its back to being bat outta hell.:firedevil

Thanks for the point in the right direction.

It having one from a 93 means the donor actually did have a fuel pump ballast resistor. I guess this means the ECU can't detect a bad/missing ballast resistor after all since the code's gone and it runs well again :laugh2:

Glad you got it fixed, and good catch by 8Mud.

Back