• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I need a new 1997 exhaust manifold in CA

HappyDog

NAXJA Forum User
My 1997 XJ I6 needs a new exhaust manifold. The APN is not on my short list because I'm in California and it's not approved here. So I am looking at either 1AAuto's $164 unit or a Dorman from rockauto. I would like to hear from people who have used either and how happy they are with what they got.

I already have Brown Dog motor mounts that will be installed at the same time.

I am looking for a good transmission mount as well. I have heard Omix-ADA is not a preferred mount -- anybody have suggestions?

There's only O'Reilly and AutoZone nearby -- no NAPA.

I would like something that will last 8-10 years. Most driving is on the highway, with occasional dirt-road stuff going to trailheads and such. No heavy-duty crawling -- the Jeep's not lifted and has only 30" tires.

TIA

I'm a bit confused. I don't recall there being any specific CARB certification on exh manifolds for '97 models. 2000 models have Cats integrated and are subject to CARB certification.

Where did you see that the 97 exh manifolds are not approved?

I have been running a cheapo $125 whatever brand exhaust manifold from ebay for the last 7 years. No problems at all. I actually have a spare manifold in my garage that I bought because I felt the fleabay manifold would crack pretty quick. Who knows what the quality is these days, but I bought 2 crappy ones for cheaper than the cost of a high end model and I still have a spare.

If you want a good quality trans mount, buy a stock one for big $$$. Or buy a cheapo one and see how long it lasts.

As you can see, I don't always buy the most expensive crap but it usually works out ok in the end. The key word in that sentence is "usually."

Last edited:
I'm a bit confused. I don't recall there being any specific CARB certification on exh manifolds for '97 models. 2000 models have Cats integrated and are subject to CARB certification.

Technically any part that replaces a stock emission related part here in CA needs CARB approval. Now the odds of a smog tech catching that the manifold isn't stock aren't very good. But you might end up with someone like me doing the test and I can spot aftermarket parts a mile away. I work at a Jeep dealer and have a good feel for what the factory stuff looks like.

Well, technically you're right. However I don't see roll marks on exhaust manifolds to indicate the specific part has been CARB certified like we have for cats by executive order as of 1 Jan 2009.

When shopping for cats, I clearly see 49 state vs. CA. I don't see this for OEM (or equivalent) exh manifolds.

Here's one instance:
http://www.ineedparts.com/apn-jeep-exhaust-manifold.html

Near the bottom of the page is this statement:
Pending review from the state of California, this item may not be sold for vehicles in the state of California

I and many others run the $90 cheap exhaust header with expansion joints without any smog trouble in CA. They never even noticed it, even when it was the only non-muddy part in the engine bay right after I replaced it.

Yeah, I looked at the $100 1AAuto but thought I would like to avoid redoing the job a year or two later (it has a 1-year warranty). I thought their more expensive one with the "limited lifetime" warranty would last longer. But maybe it's pretty much the same thing and the extra $65 pays for the warranty replacement ...

I did learn their $165 manifold is a Dorman. I don't know if that's good or bad news.

Thanks everyone for your help!

--HappyDog

Well, technically you're right. However I don't see roll marks on exhaust manifolds to indicate the specific part has been CARB certified like we have for cats by executive order as of 1 Jan 2009.

When shopping for cats, I clearly see 49 state vs. CA. I don't see this for OEM (or equivalent) exh manifolds.

If the part is an OEM equivelant/replacement part then no certification is needed.

The cat marking is a totally different animal and meant to protect the consumers from the cheap cats that were flooding the CA marketplace. The cats would pass smog once, and never again making the customer buy a new cat every 2 years, but that is a different thread.

I think it is about marketing. If they are selling it as an improved design then it might need to be certified. But again most smog guys wouldn't even notice or care as long as everything was hooked up properly.

Back