• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wounded warrior build questions about wiring

Tizzyusmc

NAXJA Forum User
Hey fellas,

A few of you are following the build we are doing in the SoCal section. The raptured duck buggy for myself and other wounded warriors to drive. Well i have hit a snag, wiring.

We are trying to put a push button starter and a separate switch to turn on all the power- but the switch off the donor 90 xj is a mechanical switch. It was what was connected to to the keyed ignition. We cut it out of the steering column and were left with just the the slider and wires. There are about 7 wires attached to it, I'm lost on which ones I need to connect together to achieve full power on and which ones engage the starter.

Anyone know what I am talking about?

So you want to hot wire a cherokee....

There are 5 positions on that switch starting from the top of the column:

ACC
Off-lock
off
run
start

7 wires you say...

According to what I have for the "engine diagram"
dark green is your starter relay (for start)
yellow is +V for your alternator
Red is supply + voltage

That's all the chitlins manual says... but at least you know which ones you need to get the engine going (in theory) I'm sure at least one of those wires supplies power to all of the ECU/TCU/etc modules, another for radio and accessories (windows may be in this bunch)

I have mine wired up to start with a toggle switch, mines a 91 don't know if its different but if it helps send me your email and I can send you my diagram of how I did it.

Received it! That's a big help, exactly what mine is like. I was surprised to see you can pretty much rip out the whole fuse box, since it will not have any street lights or Dome lights lol.

Glad to see I can also delete the acc side completely....big relief.

Are you also running a fuel cell and aftermarket pump by chance?

amunu2ap.jpg

sweet glad it helped!

the main reason i kept the acc and ign separate was so i could just turn on acc and run the stereo without having fuel pump and such on. one day i'll fix that and just wire the deck to the batt.

and no i'm running the stock tank and pump just relocated it above the floor in the cargo area.

I spoke to soon..

y8ebuvan.jpg

Yellow
Green
Brown
Red
Orange
Black w/ whit stripe
Purple

Any one know where I can find a diagram with colors of wires?

The black with a white strip, the red/green and the violet wire are a set. The violet wire comes from the brake light (dash) and best guess, is the ground for the bulb. The green and red goes to parking brake switch, then to ground and the black with the white strip goes to the pressure switch on the master cylinder, then to ground.

The rest should be in that diagram (the link) I sent you in a PM.

On a renix heep the 'acc' is the same as on, unfortunately. I have a toggle switch and push button for my renix heep. I'll try to find time to get under the dash and check. Fsm will have diagram.

Back