• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TRANSFER CASE SKID

RainShadow

NAXJA Forum User
Getting ready to pull the trigger on TC SKID. Looking at JCR and RockyRoad skids --- any pros/cons to either one ??? Have NP 231 TC with drop. Just got finished with OME/ARB 2 inch lift with medium heavy leafs, coils and Nitro OME shocks.

Looking for ease of installation and width coverage from frame rails.

thanks, Randy from Oceanside

are you sure you need that t/case drop kit?
i dont have any experience with those skids, but getting it back up where it belongs will do more for you than adding something else attached to the lowest point of your rig.

Have run the JCR one for a couple years - covers from rail to rail, and I have a tcase drop. Installation wasn't too bad for one person if you have a floor jack and a chunk of 2x4 to do the bulk of the lifting for you...

Just take your time when you lift into place to mark for the holes - if your crossmember is bent at all, it will change the fit (mine is, so I had to hit the local mill supply house for a longer version of one of the bolts).

1. ditch the tcase drop
2.don't ever buy rocky road garbage
3.wait till black friday
4.buy JCR skid

I'm with Rob.
Also look at DPGOffroad - they sell a skid almost identical to JCR's and I think they came first to the market. Similar price, I think, too.

I'm with Rob.
x3

When I got my Skid I called Dirk at DPG because he sold me my lift and he told me to get the JCR because he wasn't making his anymore and theirs looked to be designed very similar to his.

It has worked out great for me the only problem I had is I screwed up one of the nutserts on install so one side is short a bolt..
I may drill through the unibody rail and put a through bolt someday but it has been used as is and works great.

I did a 4.5" lift and did the wait and see method on whether or not I would have driveline vibes before I did a s.y.e.
I had no vibes and I even have a late model which had a rep for getting them easier after a lift.

as far as tcase drops I wouldn't want to give up the belly clearance or put any undue stress on the motor mounts (not sure if that's actually an issue).

A few years later I replaced the Original dshaft joints and did the Iron Rock Offroad hack n tap s.y.e. with stock front Dshaft for the rear and some degree shims for the axle.
It was cheap and pretty easy to do, I figured I would get longer life with better angles.
It worked well besides coming loose once but maybe I should have used more loctite or re torqued sometime.

After the front output on my np231 went bad I got a Jb conversions built np231 with Full H.D. sye and never have to worry about it coming loose again.

I wouldn't be suprised if you didn't need the drop at all..
If your drive line angles are causing vibes then I'd recommend a S.y.e
Hack and taps are cheap and pretty easy and there are some pretty affordable Full H.D. ones as well and good walkthroughs on here of installs.

Good Luck!

I bought and installed the JCR skid for mine. I ordered their skid for my 242 T-Case because I liked the coverage. It fit well. I was very careful on the nutserts install and torque. I also have their fuel tank skid and stage 3 rock rails. All top notch stuff. Black Friday is usually a great day to buy their stuff but because of the sale you may have to wait a while.

Back