• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

is 7 oz of lead acceptable to balance a 285

xjdavid1

NAXJA Forum User
I have some new MTZs 285 75 16 and one shop said one of them was a warranty case as it was to far out of balance. They were balancing the tire with weight on the inside and the middle as it was on a alloy wheel. I took it to another shop and they balanced it with 3 oz on the inside and 7 oz not on the very outer but just in , this being because of the shape of the alloy wheel. Now 7 oz of weight on the outside looks like a lot. What would be considered a warranty claim. They finished with a balance of 0, 0

It's not unusual to have that much weight, but they can break it down and spin the tire 180' on the wheel and see what changes. I've done this many times.

I have some new MTZs 285 75 16 and one shop said one of them was a warranty case as it was to far out of balance. They were balancing the tire with weight on the inside and the middle as it was on a alloy wheel. I took it to another shop and they balanced it with 3 oz on the inside and 7 oz not on the very outer but just in , this being because of the shape of the alloy wheel. Now 7 oz of weight on the outside looks like a lot. What would be considered a warranty claim. They finished with a balance of 0, 0

I doubt they managed 0, 0. It was probably in round off mode, where anything within 0.25 of zero reads zero. If you drive 300 MPH, you might get a shimmy from that. :eeks1:

7 is a lot. As stated, they could try rotating the tire on the wheel and see what changes. You would have to consult the manufacturer or an authorized dealer about whether that warrants a claim. If it were me, as long as it balances, I don't care.

Just for.kicks, have em.spin.up just the wheel and.valvestem, and.mark the light spot
If no weight is required on an empty rim, rotating tire will not help.

Before dismounting, examine the tread for out of round, then inspect the rim for the.same.

If it were me, as long as it balances, I don't care.

This.

I bought a set of used MT/R Kevlars that had some minor wear issues, and while I don't know exactly how much weight it took to balance them, I do know that it probably exceeded 7 oz by a fair margin. It's never given me any trouble.

Back