• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 30 Pinion Vibration/play

Brian82

NAXJA Forum User
Recently added 4.5" lift to my jeep up from 3". Have longer lower control also to keep caster in the correct ragne.. i think. Anyway.

After driving the jeep a few times, i have a new Noise and vibration from front of jeep. After digging around, i found significant play in my Dana 30 Pinion.

Question.. Can i tighten the yoke to crush the collar more to correct it? Or am i looking at needing to do a full rebuild. The Yoke itself isn't loose on the Pinion, the play and movement is in the Pinion itself. Time and Money aren't free, so if i can avoid tearing the rear apart id like to avoid it.

Thanks,

Brian

Try removing the yoke and checking the bearing?

Any play in the pinion is bad news. You can try tightening it but make sure it doesn't bind up. Most likely it needs rebuilding.

When lifting, the front axle's pinion angle has priority over caster.
The FSM states the front driveshaft needs to be aimed directly at the pinion with 1 degree, or less, of variation to prevent vibs. This adjustment becomes more critical as the lift goes up and the front drive shaft u-joint angle, at the transfer case, increases.

Any play in the pinion is bad news. You can try tightening it but make sure it doesn't bind up. Most likely it needs rebuilding.

When lifting, the front axle's pinion angle has priority over caster.
The FSM states the front driveshaft needs to be aimed directly at the pinion with 1 degree, or less, of variation to prevent vibs. This adjustment becomes more critical as the lift goes up and the front drive shaft u-joint angle, at the transfer case, increases.

I lost my 1-1/8 socket, so need to find one. Then ill pull the yoke and seal to check out the bearing if i can. Thanks for the Pinion angle info, i wasn't aware. i was assuming since the front drive shaft has the CV-ujoint set up it wasn't that much of an issue. Well considering the play is there now, im sure just correcting the pinion angle isnt fixing the issue.

Maybe if i can get some slack out of the Pinion, and get the angle close it might buy me some time. Also considering on the road there is no load on this rear/pinion... i would just wait for it to explode while wheeling i guess.. lol

Recently added 4.5" lift to my jeep up from 3". Have longer lower control also to keep caster in the correct ragne.. i think. Anyway.

After driving the jeep a few times, i have a new Noise and vibration from front of jeep. After digging around, i found significant play in my Dana 30 Pinion.

Question.. Can i tighten the yoke to crush the collar more to correct it? Or am i looking at needing to do a full rebuild. The Yoke itself isn't loose on the Pinion, the play and movement is in the Pinion itself. Time and Money aren't free, so if i can avoid tearing the rear apart id like to avoid it.

Thanks,

Brian

What year?
Are you talking about the 30?
High pinions used shims, so you can tighten them back down.
Low pinions used a crush sleeve, so re torqing is iffy

its worth a shot, although you should pull the carrier to re set the preload

I would do some reading before pulling the carrier, but off the top of my head it is pretty straight forward isn't it? considering it is already set up and shimmed for left to right movement. ? pull axles, . unbolt, remove, set pre-load on pinion and drop it back in, torque... call it a day?...

I am also thinking that the stock upper control arms/bushing are shot and have the top of the axle rocked back due to worn bushings.. 220 miles on them.

I thinking replace/upgrade the uppers may correct my pinion angle after fixing pinion..

pull axles, . unbolt, remove, set pre-load on pinion and drop it back in, torque... call it a day?...
Pretty much. The carrier should have a pretty tight fit that you may have to drive in with a dead blow hammer.

I am also thinking that the stock upper control arms/bushing are shot and have the top of the axle rocked back due to worn bushings.. 220 miles on them..
Did you torque the control arm bolts with the wheels on the ground and the full weight of the vehicle on them?

Pretty much. The carrier should have a pretty tight fit that you may have to drive in with a dead blow hammer.

carrier is easier coming out then getting back in im guessing?

Did you torque the control arm bolts with the wheels on the ground and the full weight of the vehicle on them?

I did torque control arms on the ground with vehicle weight on them. again, only lower.

Back