• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

33"tire question

wilhite78

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Picked up my XJ with 31s and they are pretty much shot so I'm looking at going to 33s now. For a rig that is a dd (or at least semi-daily) is there a big difference between 33 x 10.5 vs 33 x 12.5? I appreciate any advice.

IMO, the thing to be concerned about would be the axle gearing. 2" of diameter may not sound like much but...

As for the tires, the issue you may run into would clearing the lower control arm. Check to see what you have available now to get an idea. Worst case scenario, you would need wheel spacers to move the wheel out.

Which is no large deal, a goodly number of folk run them every day...

Right. I guess I should explain. My long term plans are to increase the lift from the current 3" to 4.5", go to 33s, re-gear and add lockers. I'm just thinking about going straight to 33s now instead of spending money on 31s. I know the gearing will make a difference now but I don't plan on doing much off road for a while so thought I could get away with the bigger tires for a while. Also planning to trim the fenders whenever I get a round tuit:wierd:

OK then, have you cut the fenders yet? If not, you may well run into clearance issues there until the lift is installed.

Not attempting to rain on your parade here, just do not wish to see someone get into trouble...

I run P285/75R16 tires on axles geared to 4.56:1 with the AW4 transmission. This combination of a tire that is 32.8" in diameter plus the gearing gives an overall 10.9% increase in mechanical advantage. I mean to say that the overall gearing is 10.9% lower than stock. That give me good highway performance (easily able to hit the PCM speed limiter of 118MPH...) while working well off road.

what kind of wheeling do you do? with a 12.50 tire you WILL feel the extra weight on the road while turning and such, a 12.50 is a much heavier tire. IMO if you don't need the wider tire stick with a 10.50, especially if you spend more time on the street than the trails.

Yes, you can technically put new 33s on with your 3" lift and stock gearing.

Your tires will most likely rub at full lock .... the jeep will feel sluggish due to the stock gears ... and it won't do very well off-road.

But, if you are fine with that ... then go ahead.

Personally, I'd run the 31s (as long as they are safe) until you can save up enough money to do the gears and tires at the same time. If you are willing to trim and bumpstop, you don't even need to increase your lift.

My XJ is sitting on 33x10,5 BFG MTs at the moment. I drove some Yokohama 33x12,5 s for some weeks before i got the BFGs and in direct comparison the 33x10,5 feel much better on the street.
Offroad i couldn't really tell a difference reffering on tire size.

Anyway....going from 31's to 33's the worst thing will be the decrease of power if not regearing.

O-gauge, you're not raining on my parade, I appreciate your feedback and I understand all that. The 31s on my XJ are barely safe for driving now and not safe when its starts raining. Keep in mind I've had this Jeep for 5 days now. I plan to trim, re-gear. etc.. but I can't do it all right away. And I haven't even had it off road yet.
Grimm and King, thanks for your input. I found a good deal on some 33 x12.5 but I'm thinking I want to go with 10.5s. Just trying to decide where to start ... thanks again for the replies.

Went from 31's" to 285x17 (33"). Clearance on fenders is your first issue (the wider the more clearance is an issue. Second, mine is an auto with 3:55 gearning; with 33's" went with 4.56 re-gearing. You will not be able to drive up hill without regearing.
All that said, for a DD with moderate offroad I wish I had stayed with 31's". You have significant change and cost to go with taller tires. FWIW.

You will not be able to drive up hill without regearing.

Common, that's just silly. Of course he will be able to drive up hills, it will just be laborious. Plenty of people upgrade tires then save for gears, it's not ideal but easily done.

I was on 33s with 4.56 gearing and it was great for commuting and wheeling. Some say 4.88 is better but I have no experience with that. I know a guy here in Utah running 4.10s with 35s and he says it's great - to each their own.

I plan to trim, re-gear. etc.. but I can't do it all right away.

We've all been there! But you know, trimming is free - as long as you have a sawsall or a grinder, or a friend with a sawsall or grinder... Shoot, if you lived near me you could mark them up, drive over, we'd cut them up in 15 minutes and then stand around yapping and kicking tires for another 45!

The great thing about 33s is you can usually find them used for cheap and in good shape - lots of people unloading them for bigger stuff.

And I haven't even had it off road yet.

You need to rectify that THIS WEEKEND! ;) 4-low and an automatic can make up for 31s and stock gearing. Again, far from ideal, but it will serve to keep that fire burning!

I run 33 X10.50s on 8" rims, with 4"BS. They just tuck into the trimmed and raised Factory flairs, something the 12.50s will not do without more lift and a lot more trimming. You can use your Factory wheels for the 10.50s by adding 1-1/4" wheel spacers.
Using 10" shocks, on relocated mounts,my XJ has 5" of up-travel and 5" down. You live in California, so I expect that you will be driving sometimes at speed in the desert, this is where plenty of up-travel and proper bump stops are needed.

Unless you are regearing soon or have another DD, I would find some good, used 30-31" tires to use temporarily.
California is full of steep mountain grades and 33s, on stock gears, are going to suck big time. You need 4.56 gears.
I think you will be very surprised how well your XJ works off-road on 31s.
You will also be surprised how much time and money it takes to do a proper job of building your XJ. Actually, it's a never ending outlay of time and cash.

lazyxj,
Great reply thanks! Lots to think about... I totally get how much time and money it takes thats why I am trying to start off smart and and trying to have a little bit of a plan.
My first thought was to find some used 31s for now and I mght still do that if I find a good deal.
While looking I found a good deal on CL for some Goodyear MTR Kevlar 33x12.5x15s with 75% tread mounted on Am racing wheels for $750. Now I'm thinking wheels, fender trimming and gears. Is there a little bit of insanity required to own an XJ?:doh:

Won't be able to drive up hill? I ran my 35x14.50 pit bulls with stock 3.55's before regearing. It sucked and steep mountain passes meant 2nd gear and 40mph. 33's in a 10.50 would be fine. Less than ideal, but it would get the job done. With an auto tranny and 2.72 low range, overgeared off road was far less of an issue than on road. It wheeled great even on 3.55's, it sucks more on the road than off. With a manual trans, low gearing is far more important off road.

I ran 33s and 3.07s for a few years. I didnt know how bad it sucked until I regeared. (Jeep cane with 32s)
Its not.ideal, but.it is do able
Plan on trimming before taking the new tires offroad. No reason to chew up your new meats.

i run 307 with my five speed 2 door with 4.5-5 inches of lift and 33s its not to bad 5th gear can only be used on a flat road other wise its in 4th get about 13 mpg
1416274_10151944501862044_111547265_o_zpsb133ee6d.jpg

Here's my '94 with 3.55 and 5 speed manual with 4" lift and the 33x10,5 BFGs. (Not to forget the Napier fenderflares which give a lot of clearance for the 33's)

P1000035_zps27532569.jpg

Nice rig O-gauge, pretty much what I'm thinking about building towards. I am planning to go to 4:56. If I can score a good deal on the 33s I think I'll do that, trim the fenders, then focus on re-gearing. Appreciate all the input. What bumper is that with the winch mount? Looks nice.

Back