• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Renix era MJ: Failed smog due to no check engine light?

blondejoncherokee

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
So how is this possible that a renix era XJ failed VISUAL part of smog inspection . Never heard of this at all. I dont know what he is talking about. Its a friends jeep, they live 3 hours away. They dont really know what he is talking about either , quote " every car should have a check engine light that turns on when the car is on and off when the car off" end quote. Anyway, any ideas other than maybe the smog tech is lacking brains? His renix MJ dash looks just like my renix XJ dash and ive never failed visual once.

Last edited:
Uh, there is a light there. I vaguely remember in my 1996 that the check engine light would come on briefly before starting the engine. The bulb might be burnt out.

Ok good to know . Where the heck isn't? We pulled the panel and there is nothing there

Smog tech is wrong, it happens occasionally.

March back to the smog center and demand a free retest. Point out the emissions tag under the hood that says "OBD Exempt." That means no CEL needed. This information will also be backed up in their big book of emissions.

The tech got confused because there typically *is* a spot for a CEL, with a film in it, but no bulb.

There is not and never has been a CEL for a Renix 4.0.

IMG_20130501_182237_448_zps973d4c31.jpg

Pic of the layout

Note there are a couple of different films available. The above pictured one and a later style one (which says the newer style Part Time / Full Time instead of 4x4 / Lock). Either way the CEL portion is unused and there from the old GM 2.8 engine (and possible a four cylinder, not 100% there).

IMG_20130404_083426_166_zpsa8926722.jpg

Other examples I've found

The one with the red CEL looks like it's from an early HO (also because of the modern standardized ABS logo and security light), all the Renix era IPs I've seen had a yellow CEL film.

thanks guys. I was under the impression renix was pre OBD and didnt have a CEL. good to know. He said the smog tech was an a hole and a hole.

So how is this possible that a renix era XJ failed VISUAL part of smog inspection . Never heard of this at all. I dont know what he is talking about. Its a friends jeep, they live 3 hours away. They dont really know what he is talking about either , quote " every car should have a check engine light that turns on when the car is on and off when the car off" end quote. Anyway, any ideas other than maybe the smog tech is lacking brains? His renix MJ dash looks just like my renix XJ dash and ive never failed visual once.

For RENIX, the CEL/MIL window is a holdover from when the Chevvy V6-173 was used (which came with OBD-I controls.)

Through 1990, that was the ONLY OBD-compliant engine that AMC used.

If you check the underhood VECI label, it will tell you if the vehicle is OBD-I-compliant, OBD-II-compliant, or "pre-OBD" - and if the smog "tech" can't read that, he should find other work (I'm sure there are always shovels and brooms that need pushing.)

I have run into this over & over with my RENIX rigs - and I have this same conversation with the smog "techs" around here - most of whom don't even give the impression of having finished middle school...

The idea of the Smog Check programme I find useful. The execution of that idea I find sorely lacking. I had to go roundy-rounds with CARB for about 8 months trying to get an answer on one question (why did I suddenly have to go to a "Check Only" station,) got invited to a local SCII workshop when they were going to roll it out statewide, put the Acting Director and the Regional Director on the spot for an hour, and probably made an enemy for life...

Uh, there is a light there. I vaguely remember in my 1996 that the check engine light would come on briefly before starting the engine. The bulb might be burnt out.

Your 1996 is OBD-II, the lamp comes on as part of a "Lamp Test" when you start the vehicle.

Through 1990, with the AMC engines, the XJ and MJ were "pre-OBD." I've explained why the window is there in my previous post.

Confirm with the VECI.

thanks guys. this is very valuable information. I have never had SMOG issues so ive had to deal with it. My beat to hell renix always passes with flying colors for the past 7 years.

Note there are a couple of different films available. The above pictured one and a later style one (which says the newer style Part Time / Full Time instead of 4x4 / Lock). Either way the CEL portion is unused and there from the old GM 2.8 engine (and possible a four cylinder, not 100% there).

The M.I.L. socket was present but never used in the federal Emission 84-86 2.8L XJ. They were all mechanically carbureted (Rochester varajet 2).

(The only engine electronics present on my truck is the ignition module in the distributor: read vacuum hose armegeddon:helpme:)

The California emiss. trucks may have used a Varajet 2E that was computer controlled, but it was always my impression that the 2.5L was the one that had a M.I.L. if at all.

I can tell you that the California equipped 1984 Chevrolet Camaro 2.8 V6 with a bastardized Rochester did in fact have a crude OBD system. I do not know for certain that the XJ did but I would be surprised if it did not. I am unsure if that system was on Federally equipped Camaros because I ran the hell away from that POS!

find a smog tech who knows something. the 87-90 Jeep Renix era Jeeps are OBD1 exempt and have no working check engine light. the dash bezel may still have a place for a bulb for the check engine light. the smog tech should have looked in his or her reference book and would have seem in the notes and seen in print no check engine light..

find a smog tech who knows something. the 87-90 Jeep Renix era Jeeps are OBD1 exempt and have no working check engine light. the dash bezel may still have a place for a bulb for the check engine light. the smog tech should have looked in his or her reference book and would have seem in the notes and seen in print no check engine light..

Notes, Hell - it's right there on the vehicle, at the bottom of the VECI label! "Vehicle Emissions Control Information" - you know, the information that applies to that specific vehicle?!?

And people wonder why I can't bring myself to trust smog "techs" very much...

He took it to a shop that actually knew what they were doing. Passed with flying colors. thanks for the help guys.

Back