• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Elbe Hills - OktoberFest - 10/26/13

TORX

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
For the past few years a few of us have gotten together for an annual October run to Evans Creek, OktoberFest. Usually the weather sucks, the camping is miserable, and the trails are sloppy. Somehow we find enjoyment in this scenario.

This year October kind of snuck up on me, and this became a last minute kind of run. Instead of Evans Creek, there was some interest in checking out Elbe Hills instead. So a day trip to Elbe for OktoberFest was organized.

Coming from the south end, Gresham Boyz, Nick and Scott, met up with me in Woodland, 0700 , Saturday morning. Hit the road with the signs of some good weather on the horizon.
51F546FC-043A-4DFE-A297-91B4F11C11B3-14167-0000115F7F797FF1_zpse0c9ede5.jpg

The drive up was an easy two-hours. Not really that much further than our usual stomping ground, TSF. Elbe Hills though is located on state land, meaning you'll need a Discover Pass to run the trails, or park a vehicle at the staging area. Welcome to Washington.
IMG_0001.jpg

It's not a huge area, but the "quality" trails definitely make up for it.
IMG_0002.jpg

We got there shortly before 0900, and took our time unloading.
IMG_0003.jpg

Eventually Josh (the_wierdo), and Joe (josefxj97) rolled in as well. While BS'ing in the staging area, Jake (northwestxj), a buddy in a Sami, and Bogden in his clean late model also pulled in. Nobody really had a plan, so we figured we'd all roll out together.

Bogden running an optional line on Mainline.
IMG_0007.jpg

Scott.
IMG_0009.jpg

Josh.
IMG_0013.jpg

Elbe is full of nasty bonus lines. Jake trying to blaze his way up one.
IMG_0016.jpg

Bogden getting some.
IMG_0018.jpg

Trees and roots are the norm at Elbe. Jake even has raised boat-sides.
IMG_0024.jpg

We've had some pretty dry weather lately, and the trails still had some pretty deep holes on them. I had NWF flashbacks all over again.
IMG_0027.jpg

Watch out for the stray stumps they fight back.
IMG_0029.jpg

We continued on down Alder Loop. Joe, Josh, Scott, and myself eventually split ways to cover some more ground. Mt. Rainier came into view from Gotcha.
IMG_0034.jpg

One of the highlights of Elbe, the log course.
IMG_0035.jpg

Joe.
IMG_0040.jpg

Pretty cool concept for a trail, Saddle-Up eh?
IMG_0041.jpg

Continuing on.
IMG_0042.jpg

Eventually making our way up to Rainier Vista rock garden.
IMG_0044.jpg

Scott pretending he's still in, Moab.
IMG_0049.jpg

Josh headed back early for some family time, while Scott, Joe, and myself played around in the rock pit running some fun lines, while watching Scott relive his younger years.
1F32BB0A-BA08-47D5-AA6A-7FDB9042A44D-14167-0000115F91642E95_zps33d3e23c.jpg

With the day still semi-young, we decided to run the trails back to the staging area. With very little peer pressure needed, Scott tried one of the holes.
IMG_0058.jpg

Down Mirror_Delete hill.
IMG_0062.jpg

All in all it was a great day on the trail. I'm looking forward to getting back to Elbe before the end of the year. ;)

I'm glad I could find the time to wheel with you guys again this year. As the new guy, I'm still trying to get used to the sloppy conditions even when the weather is good - I'm used to dusty trails and dry rocks with tons of grip. I'm thinking about trading the 33" MTRs for some 35" Swampers due to the terrain.

See you on the trail next time.

Josh "the_weirdo"

A few others here: http://s196.photobucket.com/user/wickedtl/library/Elbe?sort=2&page=1

Caved in rockers

Mirror delete!

Smashed bumper cover, Smashed fender, broken fog light, Bent tow hook, Broken steering box, bent .250wall DOM Tie rod

I cant believe my Dana30 Pinion held up! (whats..left of it?)
Cant wait for December! that was brutally awesome!

Last edited:
All the vids I've seen and all the pics, all the write-ups, never seen Elbe dry.
Still looks like it was a good day out.

Look fun, but that's a lot if mud. Kinda glad I held off on this trip. Might be something I'll do next summer, Maybe July or August.

Back