• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Finally replaced my muffler... Not a fan of the new sound

anthrax323

NAXJA Forum User
So I finally replaced my disintegrating OEM muffler with a Spintech low-profile muffler (the 3332XLF after seeing it in Joel's build thread)... The thing is stout as hell, and a perfect size for a good "tummy tuck" on my XJ once I get around to doing the rest of the exhaust system (just wanted it to be drivable for now).

Only issue is that it has a terrible resonant note at ~1200-1800 RPM (typical engine speed during around-town driving). Above 1800 RPM it sounds damn near stock.

Currently I'm running the factory catalytic converter, and factory tailpipe (the muffler has a 2.5" inlet and outlet with reducers to fit it into the factory system).

Anyone have any tips or ideas for secondary mufflers to get rid of the low-speed resonance? The 4.0 is just an awful-sounding engine and I'd rather keep it as quiet as possible.

Thanks in advance guys!

Back