• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

gm 14 bolt conversion

bob68chevelle

NAXJA Forum User
I am going to do a GM 14 bolt conversion front and rear in my 87 4 door XJ.
Any pointers or things I need to consider when doing this build. I will most likely run a 40-44in tire?

There is so much to cover you could write a book about it. In fact someone kinda has, check out the 14 bolt bible on pirate4x4. Lots of good info there.

im pretty sure if you think you are able to slap 2 14b FF under your rig you have already done all of the research to stuff a 14b under the front. the rear is pretty straight forward- just choose linking it versus keeping leaves. 14 bolt bible is your friend. Id imagine youre already planning on coil overs front and rear and tons of frame plating and reinforcement since you probably already researched it like crazy. id be curious to see what you are using for front shafts and what outers you plan to use and what kind of wheeling you are doing currently that you even feel you need 14b ff front and rear.

junk yard axles. I picked a complete one up for $150 including a D44 out of a full size Bronco. The main reason I am going this heavy is that I am planning ahead I know direction I wo
uld like to go. I will eventually stuff a v8 in it. I can be hard on stuff so I want somthing that is less likely to break.
Thanks for the input I will check those links out.

Please don't tell me that you're gunna put the 44 outers on the 14b. That would just be silly.

This

If your going to go through the trouble to make a steering 14b i would find the biggest outers you can. even with 60 outers, theres not much point, and you could have just done a 60

ummmm... I dunno what gave you guys that impression but I think he's going to put the GM 44 and 14 bolt under the jeep. Makes some sense, I'd go 60+14 instead of 44+14 but supposedly you can make a 44 last with larger tires on it in dry terrain than in the northeast?

Oh. Well hes going to end up with waaaayyy disproportionate strength axels. If your going 40s and a v8 with a heavy foot, id save yourself some time and money and build a front 60. If your going to baby it then you could make a 44 handle 40s i guess.

For the steering axle up front id suggest going aftermarket for you inner Cs and steering knuckles. Also, shave both axles to help with ground clearance. I say this because if you are going to go through the trouble of making custom axles, you may as well do it the strongest way possible. I've never done this that's just my .02 on the matter.

I don't post often, but y'alls comments had me cracked up. if your asking these simple questions and want to put a fully custom 14 bolt in the front of your xj, then boy have you got some homework to do! I'm assuming your thinking they make factory 14 bolt front axles? Your looking at allot of money just in making the front axle. you say your planning for the future, but anything less than 44's and your gonna drag that hogs head on Just about anything. search the forums, I doubt there's three xjs around with a 14 bolt front end. go with a 60, upgraded shafts, big u joints, and you'll do just fine. only people I've really seen with 14 bolt fronts are the rock bouncers, and they're running 700hp+ and 44+ tires.

^ Read the damn thread!

Im selling the 44. I am not putting it under the jeep. It just got thrown in the deal.

Im selling the 44. I am not putting it under the jeep. It just got thrown in the deal.

Maybe this will clear things up but I have a feeling it won't and more people will continue to pile on him for this reason. He's putting the 14 bolt in the BACK of the jeep like countless people have before and selling the 44.

^ Read the damn thread!

Maybe this will clear things up but I have a feeling it won't and more people will continue to pile on him for this reason. He's putting the 14 bolt in the BACK of the jeep like countless people have before and selling the 44.

Well, technically the OP has not said what axle he IS going to use under the front end other than the first post which is misleading. So what is it then? Might as well go with the 14-bolt front at this point. At least it makes for an interesting read...

I am going to do a GM 14 bolt conversion front and rear in my 87 4 door XJ.
Any pointers or things I need to consider when doing this build. I will most likely run a 40-44in tire?
He said 14 bolts front and rear. I could care less about selling the 44 . He is going to spend a lot on 60 outers , custom shafts and much more .

He said 14 bolts front and rear. I could care less about selling the 44 . He is going to spend PRACTICALLY NOTHING on 50 outers , custom shafts and much more .

FIFY

did anyone see that episode of xtreme4x4? no? I'm the only loser viewer.. lol

Back