• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

no reverse lights - manual

sandsgg

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 88 mj 4.0 with the pos French 5 speed,

Like the title said my reverse lights stopped working.
When i did a search all i seemed to find were those with an auto to clean the nss.... I have a stick so now what

Please help, inspection is due and that will fail it

you wont fail without them. my ax15 and nv3550 had a reverse light sensor plug on the passenger side of the trans, might check that and associated wiring

edit: some searching shows its on the drivers side of the BA10 and there's either a TRANS fuse or a b/u fuse on the fuse box

Last edited:
yes the wiring for the backup lights is on the side of the transmission, i believe its a 2 wire connector. when I had my MJ it used to fall off all the time because one of the snaps was broken.

IMG_20131012_100350_237_zpsdd273803.jpg

This what you were talking about Grimm?

key on, engine not running, with the trans in reverse the lights should go on, have you tried doing that then crawling in there and making sure you're getting power to the switch?

I'm sorry I cant give you a for sure answer here but I would assume that switch (trans side) would give you continuity between the two terminals in R that isn't there in N.

It was having issues popping, but i found that one of the terminals was corroded and falling apart so i rewired it with new terminals. That was the first thing i fixed.

the part number for that switch is a NAPA NS5870 it runs about 20 bucks. i would assume bad switch if there's no continuity there. good luck.

this is it:

2zf7vas.jpg

I pulled the sensor and checked it for continuity, there was none before or after i cleaned it. I tried pressing the ball in and still got nothing. I'm fairly certain its bad but i won't know for sure until i get the new part. Hourly this weekend

Back