• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Does a replacement, salvage head include lifters?

tn_outside2003

NAXJA Forum User
I have not actually pulled the head from my 4.0. Nor am I a mechanic, other than shade tree.
So feel free to laugh at me...but while doing so, please actually answer the question and educate me.

Will my new, salvaged head include lifters?

Thanks.

JG

This sort of seems like an OBVIOUS question/answer. Like "Obviously the lifters are part of the head....did you expect them to ship with the pistons?!?"

Yeah....I get it...But I am just making sure. I did, after all, have to purchase separate head bolts.

Thanks.

See???? That is why I asked!!!!!
I have a lifter now that appears to not be fully lifting. So I probably need new ones. Does this mean I have to purchase a set of lifters?
I want to properly arm my mechanic around the corner who is swapping my head for me.

Thanks again. The people here are awesome!

JG

Oh...and if I have to get lifters.....should I get OEM from an online retailer or after-market? And if after-market, what brand is suggested?
Thanks again.

No offense to the OP, but if he didn't know that lifters aren't in the head of a cam in block engine, I doubt he'll know reputable brands. Just about anything sold at Summit Racing equipment is reputable. Here are some brands:
Rhoads Lifters
Crane Cams
Scorpion Racing Products
Crower
Sealed Power
Melling
Lunati
Mopar Performance

You'll have to check whether they have your application or not.

I use Sealed Power most of the time.

Just shop around for the best price local or online with s/h.

Note that you can't "just drop them in". Lifters need to be prepared before installation or they will prematurely wear themselves as well as the cam. To break them in, you should coat the wear surfaces on the cam and the lifters with a good quality cam lube. It is kind of like a thick special purpose grease that eases the break in and allows the new lifters to conform to the camshaft. Note that even those who plan to reuse their existing lifters need to be very careful about making sure the old ones are installed in the same place that they were removed from since each lobe is unique.

The old school of thought is that you should also submerge the lifters in oil overnight prior to installing them. Hydraulic lifters are actually small pumps so submerging them in oil and allowing them to fill up primes them. Having said this, I have seen more recently that a new school of thought has emerged that says you don't need to fill them with oil since the pressure from your oil pump will quickly fill them anyway. Despite this, I always pre-fill them and have never had a problem.

HTH
Todd

I am not doing the work. I do MOST of my own mechanic work. And I could pull the head. But it is too heavy for me as I just had a surgery. AND I need the mechanic to flash my new ECM. AND he is charging $300 for the head swap and the ecm flash. Not too bad.
And people are right: I was NOT familiar with the cam/lifter/head setup (I am now). And I am purchasing Jeep lifters online. Gonna go with OEM Chrysler lifters. Logic being that there are millions and millions and millions of these very same lifters in jeeps all over the world and most of them work great. They have it worked out. Factory will be fine.
The guy swapping the head is good and will do it right.

Small shop. Owner/mechanic and two assistants. All ASE certified. They do good work. I have used them and two of my friends have used them and my buddy at the Parts Store highly recommends them....because they will stick with a problem and they are honest. Best I can hope for.

I have replaced, in my carport, alone or with minimal assistance:
Brakes (several times)
Power Lock regulator
Headliner
Radio
Full wire harness for driver door
Coil Pack
Radiator (several times)
Thermostat (a couple of times)
Water Pump
A/C Compressor
Plugs
TPS
CPS
Throttle Position Sensor
Throttle Body
MAP sensor
Removed and Cleaned Throttle Body.
Complete suspension replacement to Old Man Emu.
Cut off output shaft of Transfer Case and installed a Slip Yoke Eliminator.
Drive Shaft.
Front drive U-Joints.
Front suspension disconnects.
Electric Fan
Heater Fan Resistors
Fan shrouds
And more.

I am not a complete idiot. I was just not familiar with the lifter/cam/head setup on this head and wanted to be sure I purchased lifters if I needed them.

I also am not offended in anyway. Thanks for the information. I just wanted to show you that I am not completely over my head here.....

Thanks again,

JG

Back