• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

pinion seal constantly blowing after d30 locker install

FleXJ96

NAXJA Forum User
I have done a few lunch boxes in Dana 30s before, so no big deal right? well wrong....

Only had the Jeep a few weeks before getting the locker, and noticed a small pinion leak , figured just old seal. When I pulled the cover almost no fluid came out. So I installed the spartan and bolted it all back up. I noticed it was puking oil out the pin bad, figured I just over filled. Had a buddy that is a tech at a shop replace seal for me just so I don;t mess up. Drove few miles home and seal is blown. Figured it was a fluke, replace with a Timken this time, maybe it was a cheap national seal before. first turn of Drive shaft it blew again. Now i'm stumped. Any one heard anything like this before? My buddy that helped with seal wants to pull pinion and carrier and redo it all . I'm just so frustrated right now.

Here is both of the new seals just a few miles on them . Any help or thoughts would greatly be appreciated. That and if anyone has a timken part number for the pinion seal to make sure I got the right one.

1175219_10201728510564811_957693367_n.jpg

My first thought is a bad pinion rear bearing or a bad yoke. See if you can detect movement at the yoke when pulling/pushing on the driveshaft(side to side/up-down)

Try putting the rig on jack stands and spin the front tires. See if the yoke shaft is spinning concentric in the bearing/seal hole.

Hope that helps, good luck.

A few thoughts in no particular order.

Does the pinion have any play in it <in/out, up down, left right>.
If so find out why ( not enough spacers, bad bearings...)

Is it hard to move the pinion? Preload is 30inch/lbs.

Did you get the old seal and retainer completely out of the housing ( not trying to install a new seal over the old one)?

Did you get the new one in flat with the nose of the housing? They do go on with a bunch of resistance.
What are you using for a driver? I use a piece of 2x4. If you use a driver that is too small, you can damage the seal.

Did you lubricate the seal before installing the yoke?

Is the area the seal rides on smooth and uniform?

What torque did you install the pinion nut at?
See preload check afterwards.

Ron

Come to find out it was the wrong yolk, and the guy that did the install just made it fit ... With a hammer . Got a real d30 yolk from a Buddy and issue solved. Not sure what this thing is out of. Same spline but way bigger OD.

211009d1378261081t-pinion-seal-constantly-blowing-after-d30-locker-install-image-1333133996.jpg

probably from something like a dana 20 tcase

WTF. How the hell did he not noticed a way bigger yoke with tons of slop? that is just ridiculous.

Back