• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I Need 2 Wiring Diagrams

WeWillPrevail

NAXJA Forum User
:repair:
I have an 88 MJ that the steering column is Fu****. I have a 2001 XJ column to put in. I need a list of what wire does what in the MJ going up to the steering column, and a list of the same on the 2001 XJ column. New coulmn only has key, turn signals (with brights), and wiper speed and spray on the other side, and hazard. I know I won't need half of the wires, question is which ones do I need? In the plug coming off of the key, I applied power to the red one, and there is power going through the black and white wire, and the blue wire. Turning the key to start gives me power to the yellow, so I know what I will do with those. I need to figure out how to apply power to the turn signals and the wiper switch, but the wire combos I have tried haven't worked thus far. here's pics:

Disabling the airbag:

And the red, yellow, back and white, and blue:

Ignition:

Wiper switch:

Turn signals:

Mystery plug:

The whole shebang and my test setup:

Just curious!!! Why go through all that trouble when you can get one that fits with no modification? MJ's and XJ's up into the early 90's all used the same column. And every junk yard I have been to they have had plenty of them.

Other question is what was wrong with your original from the MJ??

This one will fit, with no modification. The only issue is decoding the wiring.

The original column someone had busted out the ignition cylinder and gouged out the hole, the stalks do not work, and it has the GM column wobble. On the stock column the 'pivot' is about 10" back from the wheel, on the XJ column the pivot is all the way under the dash. It's more inline I guess, where as the GM column is like a bobble head. I will also be gaining the use of a key, and enabling my MJ to not being stolen. I've had luck so far, but it could run out.

I do not need a why, just a how:shhh:

Last edited:
Back