• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear wiper and cheap garbage!

Draven1474

NAXJA Forum User
I have been getting angry about my rear wiper on my 2000 cherokee, the original got old and tired then broke so I have been trying to replacing it, I went to Napa auto parts to get a good quality replacement part. the guy behind the counter hands me a cheap Chinese looking remanufactured unit. I went home installed it, worked fine then got slow, and after I put a small load on it something let go. took that one back to Napa and went to O"Reilly's and ordered a brand new one for 150.00 big ones. now I got it out of the mail and it looks the exact same as the remanufactured one from napa , the box says cardone select, should I install the very very cheap looking wiper motor or take it back and look else were? any suggestions are very much appreciated,

RockAuto.com, man! I'm with you, though, my rear wiper finally gave up the ghost with a dusting of snow on my rear window right at the end of winter back in April. It still works once in a great blue moon while, I can hear the motor click back there, but it won't do anything.

I can't help much with replacements, but I've been fighting dying rear wiper motors on one vehicle or another for years, and I will put in a couple of suggestions here for those who have not yet lost theirs.

First, if you make the mistake of turning on a rear wiper that is frozen to the window, or freezes before it finishes wiping, do not just turn it off. Turn off the ignition and free it with ignition off. The park circuit of the motor may burn it out if you leave the ignition on. Sometimes they do not burn out, but strip the gears instead. Either way, you're done for if that happens.

Most rear wipers bind because the shaft corrodes. If yours is slowing down, get out and help it get back to the park position before it burns out. If it's still working intermittently, you might be able to free it up by helping it along for a few cycles, though it will stiffen up again soon. Best to get it parked, then leave it off until you fix it. On older ones, you can take the motor apart and lubricate the shaft. Just pull it out, clean it up, grease and reinstall. Newer ones are riveted together, but you can still drill or mill the rivet heads off, take the motor apart, then use little screws and nuts to put it back together. A drill press and an end mill will do the job nicely if you're careful. A Dremel tool will do it too with some patience. Given the price of a good new one, it's worthwhile to fix a dying old one before it quits. You might be able to work a little lubricant down the shaft from the outside, but it's better to take it apart, because the shaft is very long and corrodes quite deep in.

rock auto, AutoZone, o'reily, Napa all have the same crap, and the dealership discontinued the rear wiper motor for the xj, now what? am I stuck with the Chinese trash?

Only reason I mentioned RockAuto is the prices, at least it won't be as expensive.

Take the original to a local rebuilder and get it done right.

Cardone doesn't have much of a reputation.

Sometimes part stores are stuck buying something or stuck with stocking NOTHING. Provide feedback to NAPA and they will try to do something about it.

Back