• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Removal of 4x4 plate on back of aw4

gunsworth

NAXJA Forum User
I am swapping an aw4 into my rig. So i want to drill new holes to clock the tcase flat. Looks like the plate will simply unbolt and allow me to put it on a drill press to get perfect holes. Any reason not to unbolt it?

Last edited by a moderator:
A buddy and I bought the IRO jig. Haven't used it yet but did mock it up on the back of an extra AW-4. Looks like it'll work pretty well. I don't know if it's worth 50 bucks to an individual to use once. But it's definitely worth 25 bucks each to me and a friend to not have to make our own, and I have no doubt it'll make drilling the new holes a breeze.

To the OP, you'll have to reseal that tail section to the rest of the transmission if you unbolt it, and will have to deal with the fluid. Up to you if that is worth being able to use a drill press. .

For those that are going to use the IRO jig, I just used it on mine this weekend. It is retarded easy to use. Sorry for the shitty pics.

Yes, I'm an expert with RTV...

Ok, so guessing itll just need some rtv? No big deal then, the trans is drained and sitting in.my garage so fluid is no issue. And ya i dont see ever needing to do this again, so if i were to splurge for the jig, id probably be better off having a machine shop do it for close to the same price.

Thanks guys!

But im sure there is something between the adaptor plate and the rear of the trans, i know theres nothing between the tcase and trans.

I just wanted ti be aure thats all there is before pulling it, i wasnt sure if there were other parts involved that would get me into a mess. Trans fluid residue and rtv seem to be all i have to deal with

I just had a good idea too, since it comes off that easy, im just gonna snag another from the jy and use it as a template, cant be more than a few bucks. If cheap enough ill get a few and sell em

The important part is to make sure the jig and the trans housing are concentric, I'd use half of a broken/scrap transfer case with the input bearing retainer reinstalled and the 6 stud holes drilled out to a clearance fit rather than using the back half of another tranny. Might just be me though.

Back