• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

d30 30 spline questions

mrbilly2783

NAXJA Forum User
Hello, just want to see your guys' opinion. I want to get a front locker, but cant decide wether to get more cash and go with the 30 spline (and replace inner shafts); or just get a 27 spline locker and use stock inner shafts. Will the 27 spline hold up to some abuse? thanks.

if your on a 33" or smaller tire then stock shafts likely will be ok and a reg ole 27 spline.

If your on reg ole 35" tires, go with a full 4340 kit with true spicer 760 ujoints and a 27spline setup.

If your really really trying to make a d30 work on a 35" bogger, or some crazy wide 35" tire or larger and just insist on trying to make a D30 work for you, then you can try a 30sp locker and 4340 shafts, but the R&P is really the weak link and likely to go before a 4340 shaft with good cond 760 joints and a full case quality locker no matter what spline (27 or 30).

You're going to get mixed responses on this.

The 30 spline stuff is quite a bit stronger. Some will argue it moves the weak link to the ring and pinion - but would you rather bring a ring gear every 5 years or a shaft every 1 year? I think thats a bs argument myself.

If you go with the 30 spline stuff, and do manage to break, the odds of finding someone with a spare shaft you can borrow are pretty slim.

Myself, I'd do it (again) in a heartbeat.

You're going to get mixed responses on this.

Yeah... I was about to do my popular..

Ford Chevy or dodge?

I guess the last argument I can make...

Try and find 1 person who did the 30 spline upgrade and regrets it.

Those 27 spline kids be hatin..

I can only say, I have Never seen a broken inner 27sp shaft on a D30 in person, and never even heard of a 4340 inner 27sp breaking anywhere from mid shaft to the end of splines.

They always seem to fail at the ujoint area, something that a 30 sp will not fix.

But I do not have a argument either way. I feel its like the ford chevy dodge. To each their own and that is just what makes each Jeep different. So many choices and some are neither good nor bad, just different.

Back