PDA

View Full Version : Painting a wench (or winch)

DrMoab
August 6th, 2013, 14:19
The paint is starting to flake off my Warn winch. Anyone had any success painting or possibly powder coating one?

OverlandZJ
August 6th, 2013, 17:12
My Warn integrated did the same, only on the solenoid cover. Took it down to bare alum and primed and painted when I did the XJ. The rest of the winch's original coating was fine, just hit it with a 3M scotchbrite pad and heated/painted it.

DrMoab
August 6th, 2013, 17:19
Mine is the opposite. The solenoid cover looks great but the aluminum pieces that go on each side of the cover looks bad.

OverlandZJ
August 6th, 2013, 17:23
Figures.. your finger tips are gonna ache.

DrMoab
August 6th, 2013, 17:24
I'm thinking of disassembling it totally and getting it powder coated.

jmaxj
August 6th, 2013, 18:55
^this. Last time I was down at my powder coater he was doing that to his winch and it looked good(a 9000i) now I think I'm taking all 3 of mine down there to get done.

DrMoab
August 6th, 2013, 19:20
^this. Last time I was down at my powder coater he was doing that to his winch and it looked good(a 9000i) now I think I'm taking all 3 of mine down there to get done.

Does he know what he's doing? Mike Olesko (BigBear) had his powder coated and the idiot doing it coated the mating surfaces. It wouldn't go back together correctly. If I get mine done I'd at least like someone who had half a clue doing it? If your guy has done a few of them maybe I should pay him a visit.

jmaxj
August 6th, 2013, 19:36
Ya he does, at least as far as I know. He does all my works powder coating as well as all of tuff country's powder coating plus a few other big Utah names. Plus he's really good priced. Now if you want a perfect 100% flawless job done, and don't mind paying for it armor coatings do an excellent job at everything they do. But their prices are sky high.

XJLI
August 6th, 2013, 19:37
when i cleaned up and clocked the M8000 going under my rig i gave it a decent sanding and then coated it with rustoleum hammered grey and black... then a few coats of clear. doesnt look perfect but hey its going behind the crossmember anyway. theyre not hard to disassemble if you do decide to powdercoat it.

DrMoab
August 6th, 2013, 19:56
Ya he does, at least as far as I know. He does all my works powder coating as well as all of tuff country's powder coating plus a few other big Utah names. Plus he's really good priced. Now if you want a perfect 100% flawless job done, and don't mind paying for it armor coatings do an excellent job at everything they do. But their prices are sky high.

Mind giving me his contact info?

jmaxj
August 6th, 2013, 22:04
Pm sent

GSequoia
August 9th, 2013, 14:44
Warn's paint sucks. My M8000 is also losing big sheets of paint.

DrMoab
August 9th, 2013, 15:51
Warn's paint sucks. My M8000 is also losing big sheets of paint.

I don't feel too bad. I've had mine ten years and its been through three jeeps on nasty, salty Utah roads. It's just starting to peel off.