• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacement Seats to fix "Stink Jeep"?

WildernessJeep

NAXJA Forum User
I have a "stink jeep" problem in my lightly modified 1998 XJ. It's pretty bad. It is a mixture of rat urine/feces and mold, from the Jeep sitting for a few years. I've tried the usual remedies, and I still can't get anyone to ride in it. It actually makes the whole garage stink if I park it with the windows down. I've tried airing it out for about 3 months. I'm thinking about getting a carpet kit and replacement seats to get rid of the smell.

Anyone got a lead on an aftermarket seats? I was thinking something a bit racing-seat for the front, and maybe having the rear recovered with something more mudproof (the dog needs a place to sit). Maybe upgrade to a ZJ seating, but I don't want leather. I'm tall, and wouldn't mind the driver's seat moving back about another 2 inches. I have all manual seats now.

Another option might be to take it to an upholstry shop for the seats, and to buy the carpet kit. Any opinions?

Last edited:
You %100 its the seats? Most of the time you will find a shit/piss pile in the heater some place. The smell is so strong that anything porous in the Jeep sucks up the smell till you take it out and let it air out.

Have you tried volcano rocks? Hands down the best and only thing that's worked for me in a couple of stinky cars I've had.

my 94 was unbearable when I got it, it had sat for 2 years with the passenger window down. cats, moisture, and god knows what else got into everything.

I pulled the headliner, all the seats, and all the carpet and went to town on every surface in there with tilex (because it has bleach in it) and then let it sit completely open for 24 hours. new carpet, seats and a headliner and never had a problem again. that stuff is easy to find in decent shape in the junk yards around here though.

Back