• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cooling problem - UPDATE

ParadiseXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I had posted a thread last week, but it got super long. I decided to replace the head gasket. So here's a bit of an update of that thread.

First of all, it was ALOT easier than I had been dreading. I just had to go slow, and tag & bag and/or label everything. So far no broken bolts or anything like that.

Inside the valve cover was - pristine...very clean, shiny in fact
Rocker arms, other hardware - same - shiny clean
Push rods - same - I used the old pool cue method - rolling each on flat surface, none bent.
Pulled the spark plugs - all look great EXCEPT for #6...it was wet, with coolant.
Pulled the manifolds, ports also pristine clean...except #6
Pulled the head. A bit of carbon on the piston tops, all about the same color. The gasket "looks" pretty good...except #6 cylinder had about 1/4" of coolant in it. Re-inspected the gasket. There is a very small breach (it's not broken) in the #6 to coolant gallery...we're talking 1/16".

Another interesting find was that the t-stat housing neck, the large one, was pitted, pretty much all the way around...something I had missed before...it had never leaked, just interesting enough for me to buy a new housing.

One other question - The head bolts look good...no corrosion, no paint. Everything I've read says replacing head bolts is recommended. Where do I find new head bolts AND do I need the long stud type bolts all along the driver side of the head...I mean is there a reason for those other than #14
for the block grouning strap??

Any auto parts store can get head bolts. RockAuto carries them as well.

NAPA, they say they are for the 97+ but they work fine: FPG ES71102, about $67 list.

The head bolts can be used twice after the first time. Paint mark them to let anyone know that there is one use left. Check them for stretching against a straightedge. If there are spots where the threads don't touch .. the bolt needs replaced.

... AND do I need the long stud type bolts all along the driver side of the head...I mean is there a reason for those other than #14
for the block grouning strap??

The stud style bolts are there to attach things to, my '88 has a bunch of plastic hangers for the wiring loom, as does my '00 ... they slide onto the stud portion.

The head bolts can be used twice after the first time. Paint mark them to let anyone know that there is one use left. Check them for stretching against a straightedge. If there are spots where the threads don't touch .. the bolt needs replaced.

Disagree.

the 4.0 head bolts can be used TWICE--the original engine assembly is ONCE, and when reused they SHOULD be marked with paint so they will be discarded and replaced the next time.

Note: SHOULD. Any "professional" would do so--what about the guy(s) that may have owned a vehicle before it landed in your hands?

Not having a familiarity with a vehicle's history would tend to make me cautious.

How long does it take to pull the head, re-do everything and then put it back together (not to mention all the gaskets)?

anything <$100 to keep you from having to do that again is dollars well spent.

Do it right, do it once.
Do it wrong, get ready to do it again.

Life has a funny way of making you do things right.

I'm struggling with the same issue. Would you have noticed the wet plug if you had pulled it?

I didn't through all the testing...engine pressure, cap pressure, exhaust gas...when I was prepping to pull the head, I pulled the plugs. That's when I found the wet plug, and a bit of water/coolant in #6.

P.S. I ordered head bolts, like said, there are MANY things that I don't know about this truck, maintenance wise, and I'd really rather not do this job again. It has taken me about 4-5 hours, thus far just to pull it apart, clean things up, get it to machine shop. I know it would NOT take me so long next time or to put it back together...and I'm slow.

Back