• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which receiver shackle should I get?

HappyDog

NAXJA Forum User
I have a stock 1997 XJ with class III receivers in both the front and back. I think it would be a good idea to have some recovery points in case I get stuck somewhere, so I was looking at getting a receiver shackle. Of course there are many available -- I want to get one that is good but not excessively expensive.

I looked at the Warn and wondered at the very short distance between the hole for the pin and the end of the shank. Is this a problem?

Here are the ones I have been looking at:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wrn-29312

http://www.amazon.com/Champion-Power-Equipment-C18016-Receiver/dp/B004I3VY32/ref=pd_sbs_auto_8

http://www.amazon.com/Rampage-8610-D-Ring-Universal-Shackle/dp/B0017KJ0EO/ref=pd_sbs_auto_9

Suggestions?

I'm a welded steel not cast kind of guy.

That Champion on Amazon is the one I like.

I my self am not a fan of the setups that have the D-ring on its side. I like the idea that it can flip up out of the way when i come down on a rock or something with it. If the Amazon one is like most welded setups i have seen then its only like 3/16th box with a welded plate and ring loop.

At a nominal 2" width, you don't need a lot of distance from the pin to the end of the insert before your pullout strength is greater than the shear strength of the unrated 5/8" hitch pin that holds the insert in place. Even with cast steel.

I had the Warn for several years with no issues, before I gave it to a friend. Then again, how many times a year do you get stuck hard and dragged backwards anyway?

Or.......
You could support the vendors that support this site.

Ya just might find a better deal from one of them as well.

Just a thought.

I prefer to first decide what to buy, THEN decide where to buy it.

I wouldn't have much luck trying to buy a new Jeep from a Ford dealer...

I notice you carry only the Rugged Ridge -- I had not put it on my short list because there have been complaints that it does not fit in all 2" receivers. Considering that what I get has to fit in any of my three (front and rear of the 1997 and rear of the 2001) as well as whatever receiver the rescue vehicle may have, I'm not willing to get something that won't fit everything.

I'm a welded steel not cast kind of guy.

That Champion on Amazon is the one I like.

I my self am not a fan of the setups that have the D-ring on its side. I like the idea that it can flip up out of the way when i come down on a rock or something with it. If the Amazon one is like most welded setups i have seen then its only like 3/16th box with a welded plate and ring loop.

Joe likes the Champion but Mach2nh doesn't. I find Mach2nh's reasoning regarding the D-ring orientation persuasive.

As it turns out, the Rampage is a welded box, which made me a little leery -- just like Mach2nh.

We have two votes (offroadordnance and Phil) for the Warn and nobody has suggested anything else from a user's perspective.

Thank you everyone for your comments! And this includes Serious Offroad even though I was a little snippy in my response to him.

I have a 'CSI' brand receiver from Amazon. It's cast and seems beefy though I have not had to use it yet. Not familiar with the ones you're looking at but the CSI has positive reviews and was not too expensive.

I got the SuperWinch version like 9 yrs ago. Its held up find with no problems and i bash it on stuff hard. Its forged and its short so you don't have a ton of stick out.
I will note that with what ever setup you go with i would put a wrench on it and make Fing tight. And just keep a 2nd lose shackle with you. That way bashing it around you dont end up losing it on the trail.

I bought one at Tractor Supply Company. If you have a TSC in your area, you can go see it before you buy. Mine cost about $23 plus tax. It looks a lot like the welded one at amazon.

I don't understand why anybody is worried about bashing this thing on a rock. It should not be left in the receiver. It only needs to be there for a recovery operation.

Joe likes the Champion but Mach2nh doesn't. I find Mach2nh's reasoning regarding the D-ring orientation persuasive.

As it turns out, the Rampage is a welded box, which made me a little leery -- just like Mach2nh.

We have two votes (offroadordnance and Phil) for the Warn and nobody has suggested anything else from a user's perspective.

Thank you everyone for your comments! And this includes Serious Offroad even though I was a little snippy in my response to him.

That can be corrected with a drill and bit.

What are the specifications on those cast units?

WARN rated 9500 lbs

Champion 9500 lbs

Harbor Freight 5000 lbs

Smittybilt 9500 lbs

Rugged Ridge 9500 lbs

CSI no rating found

Last edited:
Don't forget with the ratings Joe posted here just because your vehicle weighs less than that doesn't mean that's the force it's going to see on a yank. ESPECIALLY if you're using a "tow strap" which has no elasticity to it instead of a "recovery strap" which will stretch like a rubber band and give you a stronger pull with less of a instant jolt to either vehicle (which ends up being much less likely to tear your recovery equipment right off).

Back