• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1998 xj front right blinker problem

85xjwoody

NAXJA Forum User
So here is what I have, a 98 xj with all working lights and blinkers except for the front passenger side and the directional arrow on the instrument cluster. All the running lights come on but when I go to use the passenger side blinker the taillight blinks normally but the front does nothing and there is no passenger arrow lighting up on the dash. Anyone have a clue or have this happen to them? I have gone through every fuse and relay relating to the blinkers and everything is good to go as far as I can see.

All bulbs are in working order and the flasher is doing its job as the rear taillight flashes and so does all the driver side blinkers. I cannot see the flasher being the problem for only one corner not working.

Some Cherokee problems have a common and well known causes, and other require you to do some detective work.

How do you know the flasher module is not the problem, are you guessing/wishing, or have you tested it or swapped it out ? Have you inspected the bulb socket and wire harness for corrosion or damage ? Have you tested the wire harness for continuity, 12 volts, and continuity to ground with your Volts Ohms Multi-Meter ?

Failure of steering column multi function switch is not uncommon.

All the bulbs work as they light up at the sockets they are in for running lights but no blinker out of these bulbs three bulbs. The bulb sockets are nice and clean as they light up with the running lights but not with the blinker on and the flasher has been replaced with a new one and the problem stays the same. I am not the greatest with electrical and have no idea how to use a Multi-Meter. :( so that will be an interesting one to do. I have also swapped out the multi function switch for the blinkers on the column with the problem staying the same.

The front bulbs have 2 elements, one for running lights, and one for blinking. Are you guessing/wishing the bulbs work, or have you replaced them or swapped them around ? Have you inspected the bulb sockets ? Do the side marker lights blink at the same time as the blinkers ?

Have inspected/cleaned the blinker bulb wire harness and harness wire plugs, looking for corrosion, chafed insulation, breakage or other damage ? Inspected the main wire harness wire plug for the lighting wires near the air filter box ?

The front bulbs have 2 elements, one for running lights, and one for blinking. Are you guessing/wishing the bulbs work, or have you replaced them or swapped them around ? Have you inspected the bulb sockets ? Do the side marker lights blink at the same time as the blinkers ?

This, as I also suggested.

Back