• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A/C smelled like burning electronics then stopped working(not resistor or switch)

siava1018

NAXJA Forum User
So like the title says it started to smell like burnt electronics/plastic then stopped working. I swapped the resistor with a one that i know works and I cleaned the switch contacts(the dielectric grease was black) and still nothing. Im going to check fuses tomorrow but i assume the blower motor is shot. Also over the winter the blower would cut out then come back on.

On another subject my volt gauge sits under 14v and if i turn on the ac,wipers,rear def,lights and fogs it will drop down real low and if i hit a puddle it will set off the check gauges light even with nothing on. belt, battery or alt?

I would bet on the relay for the motor, but could be wrong. What year???

If it is a 97 and later, the relay is behind the glovebox. Take the glovebox out (it flips down if you remove a few things) and it should be right there. Mine blew up in my 98, did exactly what you describe, smelled like burning electrical stuff and then stopped working.

So like the title says it started to smell like burnt electronics/plastic then stopped working. I swapped the resistor with a one that i know works and I cleaned the switch contacts(the dielectric grease was black) and still nothing. Im going to check fuses tomorrow but i assume the blower motor is shot. Also over the winter the blower would cut out then come back on.

On another subject my volt gauge sits under 14v and if i turn on the ac,wipers,rear def,lights and fogs it will drop down real low and if i hit a puddle it will set off the check gauges light even with nothing on. belt, battery or alt?

Don't rely on the dash gauge. Put a voltmeter between the battery terminals and measure STATIC voltage--everything turned off--and you should see about 12.5 volts. Then, turn on the engine and recheck the voltage--should be 13.5 to 15.5 with all accessories off.

If the A/C-heater blower circuit is bad--not working--then dumping that load into the mix will skew your results.

ok so i checked the relay pins 87 and 87a look burnt but it functions fine. Where are the main wires going to the motor so i can make sure its not the motor?

Back