• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear disc brake conversion

jeepster35

NAXJA Forum User
hello naxja, i havent been on in along time but was a previous member alittle over a year ago and i have a few questions regarding the rear disc brake conversion that everyone is doing. i have a 00 xj 4'' lift 31's etc.... and i was interested in doing the zj swap on my xj since the rear drums suck. now my question is what parts exactly would i all need inorder to do the job correctly. ive checked several threads but couldnt quite find everything i need. now i know i need the basics like calipers, rotors, pads and backing plates but as far as ebrake cables, brake lines etc im not quite sure. maybe you guys recommend some things to do or what parts to use, im all ears to listen to everyones opinions as well. thanks

I just did the sawp last night.

You will need:
ZJ backing plates, brake hose, caliper, caliper bolts, pads, parking brake hardware... From a 1997ish 5.2L Grand Cherokee.

What you need to be able to do:
Dissasemble your axle, remove the shafts.
(Hint!) Once the shafts are out, re-install spider grear shaft or you will hate yourself later.

Remove old brake hardware and backing plates. Don't trash the hardline or you will end up replacing it. Don't trash the E-Brake cable or you will end up replacing it. Punch out the old studs that hold the backing plate. They are too short.

Using a grinding stone or a rotory file, remove material from the inside of the new backing plate where it fits over the axle. You will end up talking off about 1/8".

Get (8) Grade 8 3/8" X 1.5" bolts and Gr8 nuts.

Slide backing plate over the axle with the caliper mount facing towards the rear. Bolt it on with aforementioned bolts.

Assemble parking brake shoes and hardware.
Install parking brake. To get the XJ end to work, take a pliars, grab the end and being the cable 90 deg. Struggle like heck to get the spring pushed up on the cable while you push the cable onto the slot on the e-brake end.

Insert axle. Install C-Clips and reinstall pin.
Install the disc (You might as well take a few moments to adjust up the parking brake now as it is accessable.)
Put in 2qts of your favorite axle fluid.

Figure out how you are going to attach the hardline to the hose. I used a short piece of 5/16" line with ends and a union to do the job.

Assemble the caliper and place on backing plate.
(Hint!) The bleeder goes on the top side.

Bleed brakes while everthing is open for inspection.

Install wheels.

Verify the brakes actually work before heading off.
Verify parking barke works.

Adjust parking brake shoes as needed.

Throw old drum brake hardware in the dumpster 'cause it still sucks and you won't be able to give it away.

I plan on doing a write up soon.

they sell brakeline kits if you want too...or you can make them like i did useing 96 xj cables since they are longer...cut them to the appropriate length and set them up....brake line is the same 3/16" line you would use that goes into the flex hose on the caliper. other than that nothing else i can thing of that isnt already out there

My bad on the typo - 3/16" hardline.

I own a 01. The E-Brake cables required no modification beside what I mentioned in my post.

Also, I forgot the mention that while the shafts are out, upgrade the studs.
Get a set of XJ FRONT studs. They are 1 15/16" long as opposed to the ZJ ones which are only 1 5/8".

Back