• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Locker for the rear - what to go with?

FaultyLine

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Title says it all. I have a stock 01 XJ with open-open axles. I've been in a few situations where a locker would have *really* helped out. I'm not interested in anything air powered because I don;t have on-board air and don;t have any plans to do this soon. I've seen electric lockers as well - but wonder how those compare to a Detroit-locker. I like the idea of having it be automatic. Any suggestions on what type of locker to go with would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Detroit locker. its automatic so you don't have to turn it on. its installed and forgotten about. if you do city driving it even has a mechanism for allowing different wheel speeds when turning so there is no binding. Unless your jeep is a manual go with this

There are more opinions on lockers than there are lockers on the market. I know you said no air activated, but I am sold on ARB. Pricey, yes, but their customer service that I've experienced is second to none. I've had the opportunity to deal with them twice, neither time the fault of the locker, and both times were excellent experiences.

A lot depends on what you want to spend, whether it is a daily driver, and so forth. There isn't one perfect answer.

David Bricker / SYR

Detroit locker. its automatic so you don't have to turn it on. its installed and forgotten about. if you do city driving it even has a mechanism for allowing different wheel speeds when turning so there is no binding. Unless your jeep is a manual go with this
It's an automatic - so I'm good there. Thanks! Any particular brand to go with?

There are more opinions on lockers than there are lockers on the market. I know you said no air activated, but I am sold on ARB. Pricey, yes, but their customer service that I've experienced is second to none. I've had the opportunity to deal with them twice, neither time the fault of the locker, and both times were excellent experiences.

A lot depends on what you want to spend, whether it is a daily driver, and so forth. There isn't one perfect answer.

David Bricker / SYR
My heep is becoming my daily - I love driving it! I hit the trails maybe once a month right now, sometimes a couple of times. The ARB's are really expensive - but they are great systems. Sideways starion has two that he's rebuilding. Does ARB have an electric one? I'd be more inclined to go w/ electric if I had to - I'm pretty good with proper wiring and the like.

My heep is becoming my daily - I love driving it! I hit the trails maybe once a month right now, sometimes a couple of times. The ARB's are really expensive - but they are great systems. Sideways starion has two that he's rebuilding. Does ARB have an electric one? I'd be more inclined to go w/ electric if I had to - I'm pretty good with proper wiring and the like.

Mark has two that he's rebuilding, 'cause he bought my old junk :looney: ARB does not offer an electric option, but running air lines really isn't that big a deal. Plus, if you get the larger version of the compressor, you now have on board air for tires. You can get stainless braided lines for them for exposed areas, and ARB also sells a no-tools repair kit for trail repairs.

In my mind, the biggest advantage to ARB is in a DD. Unlocked, they are full open, with no unusual characteristics. But, hit the happy buttons, and you're fully locked in an instant. I find it very handy off road, in that I don't need to lick them until the last moment of needing them, and can unlock just as quickly when finished needing them.

Electric lockers tend to have a bit of delay ( a couple of seconds), and sometimes will not engage or disengage if bound up already. I've not experienced that with the ARBs.

David Bricker / SYR

Seems like almost Every time on the trail someone is saying "my arb is acting up" or "my arb is leaking" blah, blah, blah. It's always blamed on bad installs. Don't seem to hear that with Detroits. I've never had an ARB... but it seems like too many issues.

For manual tranny, go selectable all the way. For auto tranny in the XJ I prefer Detroits. I daily drive mine and don't notice the Detroit at all.

Seems like almost Every time on the trail someone is saying "my arb is acting up" or "my arb is leaking" blah, blah, blah. It's always blamed on bad installs. Don't seem to hear that with Detroits. I've never had an ARB... but it seems like too many issues.

I will 2nd the problems i hear from people with ARB. Air leak or water in the lines and so on. Most the people i know who ran them pulled them out to weld the diff or swap in a auto or just a better selectable.

It's an automatic - so I'm good there. Thanks! Any particular brand to go with?

ONLY DETROIT! Go with the real one!

Don't do any of the Chinese want-to-be crap. Do it once, do it right, and call it a day.

you have an ARB bumper :p

Ya, and the ****in thing is acting up! Damn ARB! I'll sell it to you!

bawahahaha...those things suck :laugh2:

I know better plus my bumper is all welded on and tube ran to it.

I do have an ARB in front 60 on the MJ....maybe you'll be there when it breaks in a few weeks :gee:

I'm happy with Detroit True-Trac, DD 90-95%street, 5-10% trails.

When you break a shaft an ARB won't break the other side like a Detroit will.

My arbs have been installed for about 9 years with roughly 80k OffRoad miles on them. Never an issue. They have been in 2 different jeeps and the front has been in 2 axles. Never a problem.

I have an Aussie and like it. With the windows up and A/C on I forget it is there most times. You just have to modify the way you turn sharp at low speeds.

When you break a shaft an ARB won't break the other side like a Detroit will.

Not true....it still can break both sides. Seen it a couple of times.

Back