• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A/C question

Last time i serviced an A/C system i was told that while it was apart that far, a new compressor clutch was a good idea. Not sure how durable Jeep pumps are on the A/C end though.

Has the system been "open" to the atmosphere for an extended period of time?

Yes, I just ordered a new accumulator because of that.

Accumulator? What you need to replace is the filter-dryer assy.

Any hoses that are old or suspect should be changed, and I always replace the expansion valve on old systems now, learned that the hard way. not sure what thye used in 98, expansion valve or tube, either way replace it.

Accumulator? What you need to replace is the filter-dryer assy.

Any hoses that are old or suspect should be changed, and I always replace the expansion valve on old systems now, learned that the hard way. not sure what thye used in 98, expansion valve or tube, either way replace it.

Accumulator/Drier we are talking about the same thing just calling it a different name. Just like orifice tube and expansion valve basically do the same thing but have different names.

True, but it helps to have the right name when searching for the part online or using dingbats at the WeDoNotKnowWhatThatIs-A-ZONE, LOL

But IIRC, there were 2 different parts in some older pre XJ Automobile AC systems, accumulator versus filter dryer.

Accumulator is on the low side line (Bigger line) and does not have a viewing port.

Receiver/dryer is on the high side line (Smaller line) and typically has a sight glass for viewing the state of the refrigerant

Both typically have a dessicant bag for removing moisture and should be replaced if the system has been open to the atmosphere just like Joe says.....just different styles and locations depending on high/low side applications, but an AC system will have one or the other.....not both.

Accumulator is on the low side line (Bigger line) and does not have a viewing port.

Receiver/dryer is on the high side line (Smaller line) and typically has a sight glass for viewing the state of the refrigerant

Both typically have a dessicant bag for removing moisture and should be replaced if the system has been open to the atmosphere just like Joe says.....just different styles and locations depending on high/low side applications, but an AC system will have one or the other.....not both.

Haha I wish mine was a drier and not an accumulator the driers for the old XJs are cheaper. Must be paying for the fancy long name.

Don't forget to change the tube that goes between the outlet of the condesnsor and the inlet of the evaporator. It contains the fixed orifice tube (filter) that cannot be replaced by itself, as it is crimped into the inside of the tube.

1998 XJ catalog: Line, A/C Liquid, part number 55036632.

Don't forget to change the tube that goes between the outlet of the condesnsor and the inlet of the evaporator. It contains the fixed orifice tube (filter) that cannot be replaced by itself, as it is crimped into the inside of the tube.

1998 XJ catalog: Line, A/C Liquid, part number 55036632.

I had read that you could remove and replace just the orifice. I was going to try and remove the orifice and if I flubbed it up would then buy the line.

I had read that you could remove and replace just the orifice. I was going to try and remove the orifice and if I flubbed it up would then buy the line.

Good luck on that.

The '99 FSM says the A/C liquid line must be replaced to change the fixed orifice/filter. The '98 may have a different setup.

My '99 has the filter is crimped inside the tube.

Mine is located about 12" from the condesor end inside the tube.

If you can see two crimps on the tube, between the plastic stand-off bracket, that's it.

Back