• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wrangler Tire Carrier

Cottontail

Three-De Off-Road
The Wrangler has their spare tire mount bolted directly onto their tailgate. Has anyone tried to mount one of them to the tailgate of an XJ?

Obviously weight is one issue, since the Wrangler tailgate opens left to right and the XJ opens up. Seems like you could still get in there and reinforce the tailgate enough to make it work.

More I look at it, I wonder if the window wiper might interfere with the tire, and if the tire would obstruct the latch handle.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
This comes up every once in a while. Everyone says it can't be done but nobody has actually tried it from what I've seen

You're gonna need some seriously beefy hatch struts to make it work. But in theory I don't see why not, the room is there. Just not my first chioce personally, but it's you XJ not mine.

I know this wouldn't work on my jeep, I don't have the metal hatch. But i would think it would weigh to much even with stronger beefier hatch struts.

on the newer model XJs with the metal hatch, it would be possible... you will need to brace the hell out of it, that shit is thin and weak.

it also depends on tire size as well, you could probably get away with stock size or maybe even a 30", but beyond that chances are slim. an alum wheel would help too.

I'd also be worried about the hinges that hold it on, from what I have seen they are just large screws into sheet metal.

and like devilfrog said, the struts are also going to be an issue.

and just an FYI, the wrangler tailgate won't support a tire bigger than a 33" and they usually need beefed up hinges for that, everyone I know that runs a 33" or 35" has a relocation bracket so the weight of the tire sits on the bumper and the tailgate just keeps it from going anywhere.

I've got a 31" spare on a stock aluminum rim.

I figured to get inside the hatch and brace it internally.

All just a jumble of thoughts in my head right now. Not entirely certain how to make it happen. Just looking for something a little different. If that doesn't work, I might be able to use it to fab something up inside.

a 31" will fit in the stock location, you may need to massage the wheel well.

you are going to spend a ton of time and energy trying to make the tire work on the hatch, but in the end anything you come up with will be less than ideal.

Lots of effort for something that probably wont work. What about if you dont have a spare on it? Will it still close? Think about the physics on where the strut mounts on the hatch...I dont know...

I used to have YJ with a 33" tire on the stock tailgate. After about a year the tailgate started to sag and the latch became difficult to operate. The TJs tailgates were only slightly stronger. This is a well-known problem in the Wrangler world.

Yeah normally it would. I have a Truck Vault tool box in there and the factory soundbar. I can get the bottom of the tire in place, but can't get the top past the speaker.

Worse comes to worse, maybe I'll just mount the Wrangler holder to the top of the tool box so I can still store it inside, and have it secured.

biggest reason i see not to do this is actual wheeling... my spare tire carrier drug everywhere, and it was higher than anything could be mounted on the hatch. id destroy my hatch first time out with a hatch mounted tire carrier.

you are going to spend a ton of time and energy trying to make the tire work on the hatch, but in the end anything you come up with will be less than ideal.

Or take some air out of it

Keeping the window from bowing out over time and breaking is going to be your problem. Go pick up a TJ tailgate. It's damn near as heavy as a metal XJ hatch with out the glass. You would have to add so much bracing and support that you would be light-years ahead by just adding a swing out.

Little bit of work and a bronco II carrier bolts right on :)
525201_10151380296317957_948632804_n.jpg

Looks nice!

XJs had the tire carrier as an option on early models.

I've owned a YJ and now own a LJ. There is a reason that that they are able to sell tire carrier bumpers by the truckload.

2 additional reasons that would affect a decision to mount on the hatch:

A 31" tire and wheel is 45lbs of extra weight on an already weak hatch design.
If you have ever had trouble opening the hatch. Imagine 45 extra lbs pushing down on the latch assembly.

When off-Roading, the tire carrier will take the abuse if you back into something.
With it mounted to the hatch, severe damage will result instead.

-Ron

Back