• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine brand advice greatly appreciated

MrAnderson

NAXJA Forum User
So I found out the other day that the clicking sound my 2000 is making is a lovely condition know as "piston rattle." Being that this is my DD, being that i love my Cherokee its time to buy her a new heart. Ive been browsing through the web looking at various options but don't really know a whole lot about what I'm looking at.

Heres my deal. I would like a new one. These 00-01 are notorious for their bad head issues and I'm not really feeling like throwing in one that could possible crack soon.

Ive looking into remans from a few places and have determined that one way or another its gonna set me back about 2gs BUT most of the motors i find HAVE the 0331 head. Is this the same bad head or is that number just a part and the heads are not made from the same cursed cast.

The hells a good brand? Ive looked into mopar, jasper, atk and a few other randoms but honestly i know nothing about the quality of their products.

In the meantime ill be furthering my research, but i thought id put this out there and see if maybe someones got a clue for me... cause i know i sure don't :)

Are you talking about piston slap? I suspect you are as its a common condition on our XJ's. Do you have any driveability problems? Does it consume any fluids? If the answer to the two previous questions is no, I think I would just run it! The 4.0 engine can run with piston slap for a long, long time with no problems. How many miles are on yours?

I have 164k on my 98 and it's had piston slap since I bought it 5 years ago. Compression and power are solid and I have no driveability problems. I've heard of them slapping all the way to 300k with no issues.

There are no driveability issues as of now, no loss of power or fluids that ive noticed. I am aware that they can live with this issue but im also aware that it can blow. Heres my problem, i only have the one car. On the other hand i have two jobs that i work a total of 60hrs a week at and i also attend college. If she lets go and im not fully prepared for it, im screwed three different ways :(

She just had her 150k bday a few days ago

As a person who works 60+ hours a week I completely understand where you're coming from. Our beloved XJ's aren't getting any newer......but, I wouldn't worry until there's something to worry about. In the meantime, stash up a few hundred bucks and eventually pick up a little puddle jumper or backup. I keep a 1989 Toyota Celica waiting on deck in the event my XJ goes down for significant service. I've had to employ it 3 times in the last 5 years and it worked great each time. You can pick up a beater car for cheap and just have it as a life boat if you need the re-assurance.

Maybe look at it this way.....even a tip top, perfect running vehicle can get side swiped tomorrow leaving you without a car.....my point is anything can happen and don't worry so much. I say that but I worry about everything. :)

From what I've read, the Chrysler engineers devised a cure for piston slap. After extensive engineering and installations on numerous motors it didn't help much if any.

Wouldn't it be a bummer if you dropped two K on a reman motor and it did the same thing?

Maybe do a compression test and maybe even endoscope the pistons. My youngest sons endoscope (from his job) is my new favorite play toy.:) Maybe have somebody read the codes.

An old mechanics saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Piston rattle can also be an indicator of sensor issues or even fuel issues. Piston rattle usually happens during acceleration. Piston slap is usually most noticeable at idle (low speed) and is often worse with a cold motor.

Can I recommend a junkyard engine? You can probably buy a junkyard engine, tear it down enough to check all the bearings and stuff, slap all new gaskets on it, then pay a pro mechanic to install it for less than a new engine will cost you.

Other than that, all I have to say is "not titan", go with literally anyone else.

As for the head issue, get a new one or a TUPY 0331 head at the junkyard and slap it on if you're worried, or make sure the company you get your new engine from is using new castings instead of rebuilt/whatever.

1. Search my threads. I just went down this road. I settled on a local builder that has a great reputation. I would suggest finding the same.

2. Get an aftermarket new head from J&C or Clearwater. These have much better castings. Otherwise you'll get the 0331 head again and have to take your chances.

3. Get a back up car or you'll have to get a rental. My Honda civic is saving me right now, while I'm tearing down the jeep and replacing the engine. It is NOT a quick process unless you pay someone a grand + to do it.

I went with an ATK stroker and so far am very pleased. Only time will tell though I'm still breaking it in at 300 miles. So far ATK customer service has been pretty good although the real test is if/when I have to use the warranty.

First of all, thank you all for your input.

It seems the more i look into this piston slap/rattle condition the further from sure of what to do I get. Some live forever, some dont

In all honesty, ive been wanting to pick up a motorcycle (something about 50mpgs instead of 15) to get me around for some time now and it seems like its the best of both worlds. I get to have my beloved cherokee and at the same time not worry about having it blow leaving me stranded.

First of all, thank you all for your input.

It seems the more i look into this piston slap/rattle condition the further from sure of what to do I get. Some live forever, some dont

In all honesty, ive been wanting to pick up a motorcycle (something about 50mpgs instead of 15) to get me around for some time now and it seems like its the best of both worlds. I get to have my beloved cherokee and at the same time not worry about having it blow leaving me stranded.

This is not to say that putting a new engine in is off the table, input is still apperciated

Try a can of Engine Restore. I have what I think is rod knock, which is terrible when the engine is cold. The noise completely goes away when I put even a half a can of the v6 version of engine restore. Try it for peace of mind, and you can keep using it on every oil change if you're that worried.

It's good stuff. I only trust that and Lucas products (have heard good things about Marvel Mystery oil too but never tried it).

Try a can of Engine Restore. I have what I think is rod knock, which is terrible when the engine is cold. The noise completely goes away when I put even a half a can of the v6 version of engine restore. Try it for peace of mind, and you can keep using it on every oil change if you're that worried.

It's good stuff. I only trust that and Lucas products (have heard good things about Marvel Mystery oil too but never tried it).

Thats stuffs pretty hardcore from what i know. An amazing product once u understand how it works. Its something i can look into.

I run a quart of mmo with every change

This threads gonna get closed for being off topic hahaha. Whatever though good ideas and info, im all for it

I suggest you just drop the hammer. From a dead stop. This will erase all doubt. If your engine can handle that, ok. If not, at least you'll know, instead of being left stranded all of the sudden somewhere.

Buy a motorcycle.
Then buy a reman from ATK or Mopar (I think ATK actually builds for MOPAR)
Have a pro swap it in.
No sense tying up your little (if any) free time on a junkyard motor project.
If things change and you get free time, I'd recommend a junkyard motor & put new bearings in it.

Thats stuffs pretty hardcore from what i know. An amazing product once u understand how it works. Its something i can look into.

I run a quart of mmo with every change

This threads gonna get closed for being off topic hahaha. Whatever though good ideas and info, im all for it

Not too off topic... just giving you cheap options. These engines are known to make noise between 200k and 300k. The restore works wonders for that awful engine noise and makes me feel like I'm driving a younger car again.

Buy a motorcycle.
Have a pro swap it in.
No sense tying up your little (if any) free time on a junkyard motor project.
If things change and you get free time, I'd recommend a junkyard motor & put new bearings in it.

I think ATK builds for most all the retail parts stores. They all have an ATK part number.

Just know, with an ATK engine, you'll be taking your chances with that 0331 factory cast head.

So I found out the other day that the clicking sound my 2000 is making is a lovely condition know as "piston rattle."
I wouldn't worry about it. It will probably go another 100,000 miles with that sound. Common for the 4.0L engine

2. Get an aftermarket new head from J&C or Clearwater. These have much better castings. Otherwise you'll get the 0331 head again and have to take your chances.
Not all 0331 heads are flawed. 2003+ TUPY heads are fine.

Buy a motorcycle.
They do, but its a different assembly line and a few other things are different.

Chances are slim ill need it :). Threw a can of Restore in it 2 days ago... haven't heard it since. Is it sad that i bummed i wont be gettin a new engine? Probably the closest ill get to owning a new car for awhile.

Back