• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Haven't turned my Jeep over for 8 months

Tryfan

NAXJA Forum User
2001 XJ, AW4, I6 4.0, AC
My Jeep has been standing for 8 months and I haven't started it in that time. I read on this forum that you should squirt oil in through the spark plug holes before starting, whilst others have said that can cause damage to the rings. Any opinions - and what else should I do before starting the Jeep

Other than that, the only real way you can get oil anywhere is to prime the oil pump. Typically, removing the dizzy and using a drill of sorts to turn the pump.

ehhhh, just start it. 8 months is nothing.

Maybe pull the primary connector (the little low voltage one) off the ignition coil and crank it over till the oil pressure comes up if you really care, but that might set the CEL, so I probably wouldn't bother.

Start it up, keep your foot off the throttle till oil pressure comes up, all done.

I'm with Ken on this one. Unless you are storing an engine long term, just start it up and let it idle for a while after the oil pressure comes up.
It'd be the same shock to the engine as starting after an oil change.

Long term storage usually involves some long term precautions.

8 months is short term storage. I bought an XJ that sat under a tree for 2.5 years. Started it up, drove it onto the trailer, and hauled it home. It is now my daily driver, and at 189,000+ miles it has 45 psi oil pressure at 60 mph and 15 psi at warm idle.

Back