• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Swapping A D35 With An 8.25?

Kingkong0192

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 99 XJ with a D35 in the rear. I'm going to pick up an 8.25 for it tonight.

I know it's a direct swap, i just have two questions.

One is driveshafts. Do i need to get a different driveshaft? I have my old rear driveshaft from my cherokee which came stock with an 8.25. I'd assume that'd work, correct?

Second question is ABS.

Jeep has ABS. How do i get rid of this system entirely? Do i just need to pull the relay or is there a way to get rid of the entire ABS pump under the hood?

Anything else i'm forgetting?

Last edited:
if youre lifted atleast 2" you can get away with using the old driveshaft, if not you need a dana 35 driveshaft

The D35 driveshaft will work with the 8.25?

I thought there was a shorter or longer driveshaft with the different axles and they weren't compatible?

I plan on lifting the jeep 3.5" and swapping the axle in then when i already have everything apart.

You may want a shorter drive shaft, so how it looks with the 8.25 installed.

You can disable the ABS by pulling the relay(s) from under the hood. The ABS parts can stay in place, and your brakes will function normally. If you want to, remove the ABS pump and re-plumb the brake lines.

Drive Shaft Length

29 spline 8.25 .... 27 7/8"
97 + D35 ........... 28 7/8"

Drive shaft length measured from the center of each u-joint on the tube part of the drive shaft for 4.0L with AW4 and NP231.

If you are considering the removal of the ABS system; you should check the local JY for a donor vehicle which will provide the brake lines you need from the master cylinder to the proportioner and other system lines.
Then again... I just noticed you are in CT which is known for rusted fittings.

If you are considering the removal of the ABS system; you should check the local JY for a donor vehicle which will provide the brake lines you need from the master cylinder to the proportioner and other system lines.
HUH? all he needs to do is remove the fuses and relays for the abs and it disables it no need for new lines

HUH? all he needs to do is remove the fuses and relays for the abs and it disables it no need for new lines

YES.... I realise that you can disable the system and run with parts still in place....
I am responding to Tim MN statement of possibly removing the ABS pump and replumbing the lines.

I swear I might have seen this topic come up a few hundred times.

Things that affect driveshaft length:
engine
auto vs manual
2x4 vs 4x4
95/earlier vs 96/later
d35 rear vs 8.25 rear
amount of lift and type of lift (block, shackle/relocation box/etc, leaf)

Oh and you need ubolts for an 8.25.

But really, search the forums. This has literally been done and covered thousands of times already.

One more question.

I'm swapping an 8.25 into the XJ. The 8.25 doesn't have ABS sensors or anything on it.

Thus the ABS isn't needed anymore. Will pulling the fuse/relay disable it permanently or what? Do i still have to be careful not to get air into the pump so i don't ruin it even if i don't want ABS to work?

ABS not functioning does not affect normal braking.

Back