PDA

View Full Version : Removing rattle can from OEM paint

Lurch
June 24th, 2013, 12:48
Is there a chemical stripper out there that can be used to remove spray paint from on top of OEM paint without damaging it?

I have some plastic parts that the previous owner painted black and would like to bring them back to the OEM color, if possible.

kastein
June 24th, 2013, 13:01
Depends on the rattle can, but you could try acetone. Try to work quickly, I have used it on OEM paint before without it affecting anything but I give no guarantees as to how long that will hold true for.

On the other hand it tends to dissolve rattle can in a real hurry. Hopefully no prep was done and the clearcoat/basecoat are still under there in good shape.

Monster3663
June 24th, 2013, 14:38
Definitely don't use acetone on plastic. On metal it will be fine but not plastic at all.

kastein
June 24th, 2013, 16:12
Depends heavily on what plastic it is. I have had good luck on some plastics but yes it will completely dissolve, soften, or swell others. And yeah, I forgot that he was working with plastic parts, real sorry about that.

souske
June 24th, 2013, 16:59
http://itwprofessionalbrands.com/1177/scrubs/hand-cleaners/scrubs-hand-cleaner-towels-with-improved-rough-touch-towel

Red91Laredo
June 27th, 2013, 17:45
What parts are these that you want to strip exactly?

Lurch
June 27th, 2013, 17:59
What parts are these that you want to strip exactly?

The plastic cowl cover underneath the wipers, grille insert and headlight bezels.

souske
June 27th, 2013, 19:07
All non MJ specific parts.
i would just look for new ones

bjoehandley
June 27th, 2013, 20:15
I used denatured alchohal on my glasses after getting some model enamal overspray on the lenses several years ago.

Lurch
November 5th, 2013, 08:52
Closing the loop on this, I used acetone and it worked like a charm removing all of the spray and not damaging the factory paint. I did 'neutralize' the acetone with isopropyl alcohol and water after I had completed stripping a section.

2001XJ
November 13th, 2013, 09:44
x2 acetone. work quickly, don't rub on it to hard or concentrate too long in one area works very well

mcnamaag
December 20th, 2013, 18:20
FYI. Break fluid works great at stripping paint. It gets into all the hard to reach areas and washes off with Dawn dish detergent. I keep a small tub in the shop for this and reuse it multiple times.

bails85
December 20th, 2013, 18:26
Brake fluid will eat factory paint as well. Kind of like aircraft stripper. Plus it takes a minute to work on the paint. There is a fine line between too long and not long enough. I would only use it on metal that i wanted bare. Nothing that i wanted to save.

mcnamaag
December 20th, 2013, 19:23
I'll keep that in mind. I've used it on everything from fiber glass hood vents to painted over chrome bezels. Its always worked great. Who knew?

kastein
December 21st, 2013, 10:48
It definitely removes factory paint and undercoating, ask me how I know lol

Acetone removes damn near anything, it'll ruin factory paint but the margin between it removing the rattle can and it damaging the factory cc/bc is wide enough to work wonders with.