• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cracked exhaust manifold and a long road trip, fix it or run it?

xjtrailrider

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
My 96 has had a cracked manifold since 97 LOL! But treally it has just gotten bad over the last 3 years. I have welded it (in the Jeep) a few times and it will hold for a while until it leaks again. After the engine is warm it always seals somewhat up.

I'm heading out to the crawl in less than 2 weeks, 5 hour trip one way. I have a back-up manifold but I just looked it over and its cracked too. No money right now to buy a new one.

Run it or replace it?

Most XJ manifolds are cracked, and most XJ owners don't know that, or don't care. Unless the crack is massive, you can run it.

Expect your gas mpg's to suffer when the manifold is cracked, the PCM will "see" outside air in the exhaust as a lean condition, and add more fuel.

depends on how big the crack is... if its small, run it until you have time to replace it.

How does it compare to the APN header from http://www.ineedparts.com/apn-jeep-exhaust-manifold.html ?

I'm due for a new exhaust header on my 1997 I6 and thought the APN is the one recommended by people on this board.

no idea, although they look similar.

the 1aauto one has some corrugation on the tubes to allow for more flex and to help prevent cracking.

its also cheaper I believe. however, if you get the 1aauto, make sure that the mount surface is not warped, mine is. they sent me another one free of charge to make up for it.

still haven't swapped them though so I have a tiny leak on the front.

Thanks guys, I will just run it then. I welded up the other manifold then wrapped it with a strap to keep it from expanding/cracking again but I will put that one on a back burner until after the trip. It runs great otherwise and gets near stockish fuel mileage on the highway with 6" lift, 35's and 4.88 gearing.

I have a tow rig and access to a trailer but I enjoy the challenge of driving my junk there and back. Besides, my Hemi Commander gets about 12mpg towing a vehicle and is really not an ideal tow rig for a long trip.

Just replaced mine. Not a hard job just remember to buy new injector orings lol.

Mine has been cracked since i bought the jeep 5 years ago and have put about 20k on it. So it wont hurt it except it will be louder and not as fast also suck on mpg

Back