• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

JY lifts/Upgrades

WB9YZU

NAXJA Forum User
As the title implies, I am looking to compile a list of items that will generate a lift from 3" to 5" using JY parts ( No commercial lift kits please).

Also JY finds that are an upgrade to the XJ platform.

Be specific as far as Make/Model/Year of vehicle that the parts came from.

If a combination of parts (like a bastard pack), please include which parts to use or discard and what the resultant lift was (Based on Standardized lift measurement posted in the FAQ section.)

If modifications to the OEM assembly(s) is needed to install the upgrade, please include that also.

Please, no poo-pooing ideas. If it's not your cup of tea, let it go.

Looking forward to seeing the ideas!

google search junkyard upgrades naxja. There is already a huge thread on this topic.
Still...
From the ZJ: v8 models had a beefier tie rod / tie rod ends. Rear disc brakes from either the Dana 35 or 44 will, with slight mods, bolt on to XJ axles. v8 front Coil springs will lift the XJ 1 - 1.5". The ZJ 4.0 "HD" (not "severe") fan clutch will move more air than the XJ model. Some ZJ's will have the 28mm front sway bar, which is cool, and bolts in with the proper bushings.
From the WJ: the WJ intake manifold is a good upgrade for a "built" 4.0, but on a stock motor it's a downgrade. The WJ power steering pump puts out a lot more volume (it runs a hydraulic cooling fan) and can be used, though I think you have to cap off some unused lines. The WJ "outers" on the front Dana 30 can be adapted to use in the XJ. Benefits include 12" rotors with twin piston brake calipers & higher steering - but it's not that simple (costs $900 or so to do it). The WJ lower front control arms use larger bushings, are fully boxed & have a tire-clearance bend in them.
S10 Chevy, Dodge Dakotas, XJs, MJs, etc all have workable rear leaf springs for building a bastard pack. If you integrate a full 'nother XJ pack into each side of your old springs, you'll get about 3" lift. From what I hear, ride is great.
80s-90s Thunderbird / Cougar coil springs yield 3-5" lift. Google search "thunderbird coils naxja" for more info.
Lots of trucks, Chevy SUVs in particular, are littered with cargo hold downs. Score.
Lots of trucks use power steering / transmission fluid coolers mounted outside / in addition to the radiator. Score.
Lots of trucks & SUVs use beefy-ass axles and one of them is bound to meet your needs. Dana 44s, Dana 60s, Ford 9", Ford 8.8, Dana 44a (not popular), etc.
Scour other Cherokees for factory options that your rig doesn't have. Examples: rear sway bar (helps a little around town), overhead console, cup holders, etc. You can sometimes find after market parts on them, so check out the undercarriage for sure.
Grab spare relays while you're there.
Lots of Toyota vehicles use compact relay boxes. They fit 4 or 5 relays and a handful of fuses. They'll have one bigass relay / fuse center and a handful of smaller auxillary boxes that are perfect for adding things like dual electric fans, offroad lights, etc to an XJ.
You can also get aftermarket stereos out of junkyard scores. Ask me how i know.

older s-10 leafs added to your main leaf or mixed with yours makes about a 5 in lift, MJ shackles are a lil bit longer than stock xj ones, zj pitman arm is about 2 inches or so longer than stock xj. zj brake lines are a few inches longer, As far as coils go... everything ive tried is just way too stiff for my liking or just not enough lift for the price/work... zj rear disk brakes can be fitted to your 35 or 44... you could also use a few of those rubber isolaters I pull mine off ZJs because theyre a lil btter than xj ones to get an extra half inch or so per isolater.... Thats all I can think of now.

Back