• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Acc power wiring

levi11

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2000 cherokee with a Dirtbound fan kit. Right now the fans run after I turn the jeep off until the jeep cools off. Where is the best place to run power so the fans turn off with the ignition? I tried the fuse box under the hood but I think power goes to the whole box. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

I believe you are supposed to run the feed to the controller (temp sensor if you purchased that option) from a ignition switched source. That way the relays are only powered if the ignition is on AND the temp is too high.
Look at the last picture on this page, it shows how the fans should be wired.
http://www.dirtboundoffroad.com/featured/xj-–-electric-fan-conversion-kit/
When done that way, the fans should turn off with the ignition.

...... 2000 cherokee with a Dirtbound fan kit. Right now the fans run after I turn the jeep off until the jeep cools off.

This is a good feature to have and use.

Otherwise, use your $6-18 Volts/Ohms multi-meter that you purchased at the Hardware Store, Home Improvement Store, Fry's, or WalMart type store and probe for a switched 12+ volt source yourself.

You'll probably have to look to the inside fuse block for Accy Power.
HF has insanely inexpensive VOMs to the point where you just leave one in the Jeep. Look for sources that switch on with the Key either in the ON or ACCY positions.

What you have now isn't that bad, but I can see wanting to go though a switches source for safety reasons. You never know when that fan is going to run if it's just hooked direct.

The sucky part is that they're RUN/START sources, and not RUN only. I don't believe there is a RUN only source under the hood. Maybe at the ECM?..........

Back