• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Actual experience with ZJ CV shafts?

anthrax323

NAXJA Forum User
The general consensus is that the ZJ CV shafts are considerably weaker than the 297-style axle shafts that came in later model XJs, however, most peoples' opinions seem to be based on anything but personal experience.

Who here has run (or does run) the ZJ CVs, and what has your luck been? I'm running 31's and would really like smoother power delivery up front. I'd consider myself to be a moderate wheeler - I'll flog my XJ within reasonable limits, but thus far have avoided rocker panel damage without sliders if that tells you anything (then again, I'm running 5.5" of lift). I've crushed my transmission crossmember, downpipe, and trailer hitch electrical box though (the latter seems to happen every friggin time I go out).

At $62/each brand new from O'Reilly, I'd be willing to take a chance and report my experiences, but figured I'd ask you kind folks first.

I installed one on the drivers side after a Ujoint failure that broke the ears off the shafts. It worked to get the jeep home, so I left it in. The very next trip out, simply backing up with the wheels turned on a dirt road, pop. The cage that holds the balls in the cv broke into pieces. At last I was able to just leave the broken parts in and drive it home.

RCV's are awesome. Wait for a holiday sale to show up in the vendor section and you can get some pretty good prices. Not $62 a piece prices, but barely more expensive than chromoly shafts and u-joints. Totally worth it for the smooth power delivery and pedal-to-the-metal while sawing the steering wheel lock to lock.

Last edited:
I've personally replaced 3 short side shafts on ZJs, and 8 shafts on WJs if you count long and short sides... and these were on street only rigs for members of my family.

I've personally replaced 3 short side shafts on ZJs, and 8 shafts on WJs if you count long and short sides... and these were on street only rigs for members of my family.

Damn, now you have me worried about putting 32's on my WJ and taking it to the Outer Banks. :(

I wouldn't worry about the wj cv's. The wife's jeep still runs them on 35's with multiple rubicon trips and years of service. We replaced one set due to torn boots, kept those as trail spares.
83887040-5A0A-4B15-8528-67F5411517F8-45840-000023DC13B854AF_zps768c66d9.jpg

Good info, thanks guys. I'm still half tempted to try them given that I could still likely make it home in 2WD, but am not too optimistic. Seems like RCVs would only be worthwhile if I built a D44 or better for the front given the price.

I have a zj and took my CVs out for 760 shafts. CVs are good "get you off the trail" shafts. Te only positive is that when they break they don't take out your ball joint like I've seen with u joints but the break very easily.

Damn, now you have me worried about putting 32's on my WJ and taking it to the Outer Banks. :(

you'll be fine if you dont mash the gas with the wheel either way at full steering lock. that's what usually pushes the cv past its angle limit and when that happens all hell breaks loose.

I've been running ZJ shafts in my '98 for maybe 2 years(?) now. No real problems. Some dirt roads, just the 1 wheeling trip. One of them is, oddly, having the boot twist out of whack - which I've never seen on a CV boot before - but the joint itself is just fine.
For the $60 they cost, I say run them & bring spares if you are worried.
I kinda wish I hadn't tossed my ujoint shafts but, then, I'm not complaining about my ZJ junk so what the heck.

Seriously, thanks for all the input guys - based on what's been described, I'm fairly certain I'd end up grenading them pretty quickly ("If at first you don't succeed, give it WOT and a running start."). RCVs aren't cost-prohibitive compared to cromoly shafts, so I'll likely dedicate some of a bonus check to them for my HP30 build. I don't plan on going past 32" tires at any point, so they might be a worthwhile upgrade for the 30.

I agree with others, first two things I got rid of on the zj was the cv shafts and front driveshaft....wouldn't look back & wouldn't even use them as spares....

I'm running 235/75/15s. Some day might upgrade to 30s :) I like the look of a 4.5" lift on 33s but don't now and have never needed more tire than a 30".
I guess thats why my parts aren't breaking.

Back