• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

jeep wont turn over no start

Draven1474

NAXJA Forum User
The nss switch is new, I cleaned grounds and connections, and I cleaned out the starter motor (brushes were 3/8'' long) bench testing the starter works good and battery is good. I am still having the same problem still, randomly at the worst times the jeep wont start dose not turn over, everything has power and volt gauge is reading 12 volts, when it does happen I can hear a click near the fuse block in the kick panel on the passenger side but that's it. is it possible that the starter motor is not getting power at all? and what would cause this? because it only happens randomly when I am away from my shop it makes it very hard to diagnose. and since I replaced the nss is there a chance that it is not aligned correctly? the reverse lights come on and messing with the shifter doesn't help. when it wont turn over I turn the ignition on and jump positive power from the battery to the small power feed from the starter and that works fine. I really need to get this fixed asap and if its something as simple as a new starter I can replace that but im not certain because bypassing it makes the jeep start up just fine.

double check your ignition switch, make sure you're getting 12 volts on the starter wire. Also if you have an aftermarket alarm, make sure the starter kill relay on it, didn't take a crap. Some systems normally deactivate the starter as a default. I've found this to cause many of no start conditions on a variety of vehicles. just my .02...

I removed the theft system the other night, it was spliced right into the starter power feed from the ignition switch, it had 5 grounds, three butt conectors, a relay, and some ballast resistor looking thing, just a lot of stuff to hope nothing goes bad on it, so its gone now and I will make shure im getting a full 12 volts to my starter thank you

Check voltage at both the switch and the starter. If there's power at the switch and not the starter, the one of three things could cause it. 1, there's a break in the stsrter signal lead between the switch and the starter. 2, faulty starter relay. 3, or blow fuse or fusible link. May also be any combination of the three ....

The wiring for the switch is located along the steering column. Follow the wires to the ignition switch. The wires are heavy gauge and can be tested with a test light or multimeter. Unfortunately intermittent problems are difficult to diagnose. If the problem is occurring at or around the same time every day, then try to do your testing then. Another area to look at also is the connector at the ignition switch. Mine had partially melted causing intermittent no crank issues, similar to yours. The melted connector was a result of a bad connection at the switch causing it to ovetheat and fail. I replaced the connector and switch, haven't had a problem since...

basics first...... did you remove and clean the battery terminals? just because they look clean doesn't mean they aren't crappy inside the connection and a little loose from vibration.

He's been able to jump the solenoid on the starter, so that kinda rules out a faulty battery or terminal connection issue ... just saying ... the problem is somewhere along the starter signal circuit.

Back