• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Manual Lock Change

RSQJEEP

NAXJA Forum User
Just bought an XJ, old owner couldn't find the keys to unlock the two doors and hatch. Can I get 3 new locks that all fit the same key? Do you have to go through Jeep or can you buy aftermarket locks? Door lock install sounds pretty straight forward; how is the hatch door lock?

TIA!!!

I just swapped all the locks on the fiance's jeep to a matching set I pulled from a jeep I was parting out, not a bad job at all and much easier than having multiple keys (her jeep had one key for the ignition and another for the doors/hatch. If you're sourcing new locks I'd try to get an entire set and not just the doors/hatch.

Try a junkyard or a part-out. Hatch lock isn't bad to replace, there's a single stud/nut and then it pivots out with a little work (I found it was easiest to just replace the entire handle/lock cylinder assembly). Taking the first one out took me a while, but the second time around was about 30 seconds once I had that nut off.

Alternatively, you may be able to have your existing locks re-keyed by a locksmith to match the ignition. I've read that people have done this but I'm unsure of cost or availability.

Alternatively, you may be able to have your existing locks re-keyed by a locksmith to match the ignition. I've read that people have done this but I'm unsure of cost or availability.

You have to "upgrade" to the later style locks to get the ONE KEY setup.

There is at least one writeup on this forum for doing it.

Thanks for the info. Looks like the easiest/economical thing to do is to go to a locksmith and get a key made for the two doors and the hatch. Thanks!!!!

Thanks for the info. Looks like the easiest/economical thing to do is to go to a locksmith and get a key made for the two doors and the hatch. Thanks!!!!

You just need to take in one of the door locks.

Yes, I am Captain Obvious.

Back