• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

np242 bearing replacement ?

moparmansfield

NAXJA Forum User

trying to figure out how to pop this guy out. any ideas? I assume the hole at the bottom is for lubrication, and is not a good option to pry the bearing out. this in the case "cover", and holds the rear section of the front output shaft.

You need something like this from harbor freight

image_17892.jpg

Last edited:
Try putting it in the oven at about 400 degrees, then putting ice or a cold chunk of metal on the bearing. It might slide right out. Do that stuff on motorcycles all the time. Make sure you put the replacement bearing in the freezer the night before.

I don't think that tool will work, the hooks are too large. I have a Miller tool for removing that bearing and the hooks are much thinner to fit under the bearing.

Google the Jeep forums. There's a couple of threads that use ghetto gadget tooling (home made) to get it out. I used a section of PCV pipe to install it. Like previously mentioned, heat the cover and freeze the bearing before install. Coat inner surface of bearing bore with ATF as a lube.

Back