• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil pressure guage pegged

Devilfrog

NAXJA Forum User
OK ... this isn't the pressure sender ...

88 MJ 2wd 5spd 4.0L 211.000km

The oil pressure gauge is past max (6 BAR) with power off, then goes another 1/8" deeper when I turn the key. Is it possible to replace just the gauge? or do I have to replace the whole cluster?

How dependant are the Renix era Jeeps on that sender? (I know my '00XJ won't run without it hooked up) ... I have a few small mechanical gauges I can hack into the cluster and do away with the whole gimped gauge and poor accuracy thing all together.

Thanks
Dave

replaced that this afternoon, didn't change anything .... the guage does not return to zero like it should when the power goes off (when I turn the key off and shut her down)

The gauges wshouls all return to zero when the power is off ... the fuel guage just kinda hangs around where it was but reads correctly with poser. The temp guage reads properly, and returns to zero when off, the volt meter reads a little low but again, returns to zero when off. The oil pressure is pegged over past max with the power off, with both the stock and a replacement sender the same thing, turn on and it goes a little further and just stays there.

OK ... this isn't the pressure sender ...

88 MJ 2wd 5spd 4.0L 211.000km

The oil pressure gauge is past max (6 BAR) with power off, then goes another 1/8" deeper when I turn the key. Is it possible to replace just the gauge? or do I have to replace the whole cluster?

How dependant are the Renix era Jeeps on that sender? (I know my '00XJ won't run without it hooked up) ... I have a few small mechanical gauges I can hack into the cluster and do away with the whole gimped gauge and poor accuracy thing all together.

Thanks
Dave

Renix ECU could care less about that sender.

Did you put teflon tape or thread sealer on the sender when you replaced it? The one wire sender grounds thru the block, so good contact with the block is important to the reading. Otherwise, there's likely a break in the wire somewhere along the line.

Pegged oil pressure gauge is almost always a bad sender or connection in my limited experience of 3 Renix Jeeps with the same problem (and fixed the same way).

Got it working, loose connection down the line.

Now I just gotta figure out how to fix the rusted light and trim mounting screws that snapped taking the front apart.

IMAG0621_zpsfb18ca91.jpg

The whole right side is like that. Left side had stainless screws.

Last edited:
Try to trim it just enough to grab the end of the screw with pliers or vise grips. Hard to drill them out because the drill would likely tear up the plastic before you make any progress on the screw.

You could try a dab of JB on the tip to a flat bolt end and wait a day...see if you can twist it out.

Just got most of the screws out ... Small drill bit on three piints around the screw amd pried the screw out. Next is the fix with JB kwik as epoxy filler to rebuild it, and then redrill the hole.

Thanks for all the help.

Back