• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

? for guys with bolt on fenders/quarter panel armor

2001XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I was just wondering if you guys that bolt on additional quarter panels such as flat tube style fenders or rear quarter panel armor, etc prep the body or paint it in someway.

I ask because It seems that it would be a great place to breed rust since it will trap moisture/water between the body and the new panels being bolted over top.

Do you guys paint or seal the body part that's covered somehow? Do you caulk the joints around the panel edges?

I am going to be installing jeeptubes front fenders and would like to be proactive in preventing any possible rusting out sine I will be bolting them on.

thanks

Maybe hit the body with some anti rust paint before install?

I would say do the best you can, and cross your fingers. Its not like you will take them back off.
eventually itt willl rub a hole in the coatings.and begin to rust.
You could use stone guard along the lower body line, its easy to touch up.

Would this be better in the paint + bodywork subforum? You might get people with more expetise in this type of stuff

Paint both sides, rtv around the seams. Did that with the CB antenna bracket I made. No rust after I snapped it off 2 years later.

I would say do the best you can, and cross your fingers. Its not like you will take them back off.
eventually itt willl rub a hole in the coatings.and begin to rust.
You could use stone guard along the lower body line, its easy to touch up.

Would this be better in the paint + bodywork subforum? You might get people with more expetise in this type of stuff

Some people do, for whatever reason, including part outs.

I put Silicone around all the edges before I put the armor on. Probably good to put some on after you put the armor on as well.

i ran a bead of black rtv around all the edges.
eventually through smashing and backing into stuff, and body flex I assume the rtv seal broke in a few places and sand and junk got in there anyway.

even if it works perfectly, you still have a boddy with a bunch of holes everywhere

This. As said before coat the body and the armor as best you can. So far mine has yet to start any rust, but I know someday it will rub the coatings enough to start. I drilled and painted the holes as best I could with some rust preventative then put in my nutserts. the backside of my armor has probably more coats of primer and paint than the exterior, lol.

ok, so I am thinking I will scuff up the body panel with 320 grit, clean it with acetone, paint it with POR-15 then maybe top coat while tacky with a very light layer of ruberrized coating or maybe bedliner,then install fenders which of course would be Por'd and seall with seam sealer around edges?

Back