• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire question for on-road use.

wolf2600

NAXJA Forum User
Apparently the tires on my 99 Sport which I just bought have around 40k miles (and 6 years) on them and are almost completely bald. I need some replacements, but this will 99.9% be used for on-road use for the next 3-4 years (college student, basic transportation, can't afford to wheel & break stuff for a while). I saw that America's Tire has Goodyear Wrangler tires for about $480/set, installed w/ tax ($89/each).

I think these are the OEM model, right? How are they for city/highway use? Any better suggestions for <$100/each?

Looking for 235/75s.

I put a set of those tires on my wife's stock XJ last year. 235/75s.

They do pretty good in the rain. I couldn't tell ya how they do in snow. We never get snow. They barely show any signs of wear after 10,000 miles. I'd guess we'll get another another 20k out of them.

They are not very good. I would spend a little more money and get something better. I would get at the minimum the Yoko Geolander HT-s
Altho I would consider the Falken Rocky Mountain ATS/Wildpeak AT
Falken offers a 45-day money back guarantee, and DT/AT honors that.

Not sure what part of Cali that you drive through. Do you ever drive on snow or ice? That is an important consideration when buying tires.

You can live in CA all your life without ever driving or even seeing snow. Just gotta stay out of the mountains in the winter. Doesn't snow at all in coastal areas, Bay Area, Valley or LA.

Bay Area & Chico. Likely won't see any snow, but I might go up to Tahoe once or twice during the life of the tires.

On my last XJ, I had General Grabber AT2s, they seemed to work alright, but they're about $30-40/each more than the Goodyears.

Chico...we're neighbors.

Don't know if you're more interested in a all season or all highway tire, but you'd have to chain up with anything less than an actual "snow" tire. The CHP would pass you with the Goodyear Wranglers or a Falken Rocky Mountain.

The US Tire & Wheel in chico has both for cheap according to their ad on CL...don't know if it's an out the door price or not...I'm also in the market for some like tires. I have BFG A/T KO's now, definitely an off road, snow rated tire and beefy but not a real comfortable ride...and mine are old, need replacing for safety's sake.

Hey I live up in the Eastern Sierras. I have a set of Goodyear wrangler silent armors I might have 5k miles on them and they are on the grizzly xj rims. I'm looking to sell as set up cause I don't wanna pay to have them dismounted. They are 275's if I remember correctly and they handle excellently in the rain and snow (they have the little snow/mountain symbol on them so CHP won't screw with you). I was on the east coast before being stationed out here so I know all about rain and now snow since I have experienced a winter here. Anyway I was looking for $500 for wheels and tires. I know your not looking to spend that much, pm me and we can work something out. I'm going to post them in the Sierra chapter for sale but I'll give you first shot at them. I don't have pics of them yet but I'll get some for you if your interested.

Hey I live up in the Eastern Sierras. I have a set of Goodyear wrangler silent armors I might have 5k miles on them and they are on the grizzly xj rims. I'm looking to sell as set up cause I don't wanna pay to have them dismounted. They are 275's if I remember correctly and they handle excellently in the rain and snow (they have the little snow/mountain symbol on them so CHP won't screw with you). I was on the east coast before being stationed out here so I know all about rain and now snow since I have experienced a winter here. Anyway I was looking for $500 for wheels and tires. I know your not looking to spend that much, pm me and we can work something out. I'm going to post them in the Sierra chapter for sale but I'll give you first shot at them. I don't have pics of them yet but I'll get some for you if your interested.
Thats a good deal.

Michelin LTX M/S2.

Smoothest & quietest tire I have ever used on XJs.
An A/T rated tire will probably be louder.
My wife was even more impressed:” it’s like driving a completely different new car”.
I’m not sure about prices in US vs. your budget.

You can live in CA all your life without ever driving or even seeing snow. Just gotta stay out of the mountains in the winter. Doesn't snow at all in coastal areas, Bay Area, Valley or LA.

Snowed all over Santa Cruz County back in the sixties--there were cars in ditches all over the place.

Snowed all over Santa Cruz County back in the sixties--there were cars in ditches all over the place.

OK...it snows very infrequently below 1500 ft.

Not never.

I've lived here @2000ft for 30+ yrs and it snows about 1-2" every winter. People flip out, go to the store to buy emergency supplies for the projected apocalypse. Everyone with a 4x4 (especially the ones with a 18" lift) hit the road to pull out all the Camry's and Honda Pilots stuck in a ditch. All the snow is gone the next day.

The most it's EVER snowed here was a freak storm that dropped a 18" of heavy wet snow, the bowling alley roof collapsed, the Rite Aid roof collapsed, trees fell over, power was out for a few days...I was able to drive all over town in my 64 Chevy C-10 (4x2) full of firewood and snow.

It didn't snow at all in Chico...8 miles away and 1200 ft lower in elevation.

Ive had good luck with Firestone Destination LE. Over 45K and still over 1/4 inch of thread left. No hydro planing in the rain and ok on snowy highway driving. Quiet and easy to balance. About 100 each on Tire Rack.
These came on my D.D. and are not what I would have bought but WILL replace them when they wear out. I run over 95 miles a day round trip and tires are not something I want to worry about.

Ron

These the "Grizzly" wheels?

9016grey.jpg

I had 255/70s on my last XJ and had rubbing on the control arms at full lock. How'd you get 275s on the stock size wheel?

255/75R15 General Grabber AT2 =
L43yVyc.jpg

When I lived in San Jose about 7-10 years ago, it snowed in the Santa Cruz mountains (Feb 2003?). Had to drive up and get a picture. Car was sliding all over the road.

This is on Skyline, just North of 9 & 35:

mhtIUhc.jpg

:wow:

The difference between a "car" and a Jeep is that the Jeep has 4 wheel drive...not Rav4 wheel drive...Jeep 4 wheel drive.

I drove 8 miles up this road with highway tires in 4 HI without sliding one bit. Fresh snow, about 15".

The Ford Explorer, and the Rav4 I pulled out of the snowbank (in 4LO) couldn't understand how I did it. They'd been digging it out for 45 minutes or so.

In the Mustang, I had bald street tires, and started out along Hwy 35 (Skyline) going about 20mph. Even though the road was straight and level, and I was creeping along, the car started rotating as I was driving. That was the point when I said "screw this", and turned around and went back down (took the pic after turning around).

Gotta love 4WD. This was at Carnegie OHV in Livermore. Mud was like chocolate cake frosting. Never got stuck though.

kQLY7RV.jpg

AS far as wider tires go, there are a few things yo can do as far as rubbing suspension parts and stock wheels.
1) Adjust steering stops (this will affect your turning radius a bit
2) Drive it accordingly.
3) Wheel spacers.

I have 31" MTR-k's mounted to ZJ Canyon's on my heep, rubbed a little on the LCA at lock.
Have my mid arms problem solved.

AS far as wider tires go, there are a few things yo can do as far as rubbing suspension parts and stock wheels.
1) Adjust steering stops (this will affect your turning radius a bit
2) Drive it accordingly.
3) Wheel spacers.

I have 31" MTR-k's mounted to ZJ Canyon's on my heep, rubbed a little on the LCA at lock.
Have my mid arms problem solved.
With the 255s on the blue 00, I went with option 2.

Back