• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Heavy Duty NP242 SYE Coming Soon!

Cool option for some.....way better than hackntaps.

I too thought this came out a while ago.

iirc the old tom woods SYEs were just a hack-n-tap they did for you with some extra machining to the stock mainshaft to make it shorter than a homebrew hack-n-tap.

this appears to be a new stronger mainshaft.

iirc the old tom woods SYEs were just a hack-n-tap they did for you with some extra machining to the stock mainshaft to make it shorter than a homebrew hack-n-tap.

this appears to be a new stronger mainshaft.

^ this. The original one from Tom woods wa a reworked stock shaft and he charged an arm and a leg for a core charge. This looks to be a much better option. But for 99% of us, a hack n tap is just fine

^ this. The original one from Tom woods wa a reworked stock shaft and he charged an arm and a leg for a core charge. This looks to be a much better option. But for 99% of us, a hack n tap is just fine

It would be nice if this one was shorter than the hack n tap. I have a short wheelbase TJ and a long transmission swapped in (AW4).

Hack n taps are not ideal....I never recommend them. Seen many have issues. Do anything in your power to not have to go to them.

I have seen folks get rid of the 242 to get the 231 just to not have to run the hack n tap as well.

Hack n taps are not ideal....I never recommend them. Seen many have issues. Do anything in your power to not have to go to them.

I have seen folks get rid of the 242 to get the 231 just to not have to run the hack n tap as well.

While I do agree they're not ideal in the sense that there are far better/ stronger options for the 231, for a 242 there has been no other choice until now. But I would not let the lack of a heavy duty SYE play a factor in swapping your transfer case. Just my opinion. I am perfectly happy with my hack n tap on my 242. It's lasted through a busted cv joint, ujoint, and bent driveshaft all at once without one issue.

Back