• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99 XJ Door Hinge Pin Replacement

wolf2600

NAXJA Forum User
Just bought a 99 2dr Sport, and both doors are sagging.

From the various write ups I've read, I just:

1) Take off doors (for ease of access)
2) Cut through old sleeve and remove
3) Cut through old pin and remove
4) Pop out old bushings
5) Install new bushings
6) Install new pin and sleeve
7) Reinstall door

That right?

Any problems I'm likely to have? I read one write up where the grooves on the replacement pins were too large and wouldn't allow the pin to seat? Recommendations on where to buy a hinge pin kit which WILL fit properly?

Thanks.

IIRC, the 97+ hinges are bolt on to the body and door. Why not just replace the whole hinge?

They are bolted to the door and welded to the body.
Yeah, this. Also found in another thread on another forum that the dealer doesn't replace the pin when someone brings in a sagging door, they only sell/replace the entire hinge (cutting off the old one and welding on a new one).

Wonder how much that would cost if the pin hole has been elongated through wear.

Fun with hinge pins.

Bought a set of 4 pins/bushings/sleeve/e-clips on eBay. Just cut the top driver's side sleeve and pin and tapped out the pins. Didn't realize that the splined portion of the pin goes on the bottom (the upper pin slides in from the bottom rather than from the top).

Pin kit: http://www.ebay.com/itm/190794390329?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Also found that the splines on the new pins are too large. With a dial caliper, the original splined part measures 8.45mm in diameter while the new splines are 9mm... so there's a .5mm difference. The plastic sleeve is also a little bit too long to fit in the hinge, so I'll have to file that down too.

The smooth portion of both pins is 8mm. (FYI)

Also not able to move the door around enough to slide in the new bushings. Think I'm going to try unbolting the top hinge from the door in order to get the bushings in.

So, the project for next weekend is to try to get the new pin and bushings to fit. :wow:

Need some help here.... anyone know the correct direction/location to install the bushings?

For the top one, I know it goes between the upper and lower hinge pieces, with the cylindrical section pointed downward.... but I'm not sure of the placement of the lower bushing....

Does the cylindrical part point upward or downward?

Thanks.

Back