• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is my AC the new or old stuff

bmsmalley

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 94 XJ. I got it with the AC taken apart and I am collecting parts to make it work again, Texas is HOTT!! SO, I am collecting original parts from Rockauto.com and the local JY.

MY QUESTION: What freon is in it?

94 was 50/50 split on freon type. Should be a sticker on the rad support

R12 is dead Fred.

Go with R134A.

R12 is MUCHO EXPENSIVE, bootlegged in from Mexico, and most has been DILUTED with contaminants to increase the smugglers profits.

Look at the fittings on the compressor. If they look like schreader fittings, then it's r12 or at least not been converted to r134a. If it looks a bit like the quick disconnect fittings you are used to seeing with air compressors, then it's r134a.

R12 is dead Fred.

Go with R134A.

R12 is MUCHO EXPENSIVE...

not as expensive as it was about 5 years ago-- most people have retrofitted to R134a due to cost and the demand has severely reduced. I'm sitting on a little over 300lbs of it in the garage and can hardly find anyone that wants to use it during AC repairs anymore.

I can't argue with the convenience of retrofitting to a commercially available refrigerant (for ease of acquisition) but I found the system designed for R12 lacking once retrofitted. It can be upgraded with the newer condenser, but that's a bit more work-- I added an auxilury cooling fan on the radiator (was a 4cyl with a single fan) and reduced air temps bye about 15* on the last one I changed over. It was blowing 38* (using a meat thermometer style thermometer) on a 93* day. This was at 40 MPH with all windows up and AC on high. I must admit that even I was getting a bit chilly by the end of a 10 mile drive!! :party:

not as expensive as it was about 5 years ago-- most people have retrofitted to R134a due to cost and the demand has severely reduced. I'm sitting on a little over 300lbs of it in the garage and can hardly find anyone that wants to use it during AC repairs anymore.

Interesting, I have a small stash of R-12 and R-22, but I have switched everything I have to R-134a when it hit about $50/lb. I heard recently they plan to replace the R-134a.

R-134a has doubled the last several years.

Interesting, I have a small stash of R-12 and R-22, but I have switched everything I have to R-134a when it hit about $50/lb. I heard recently they plan to replace the R-134a.

R-134a has doubled the last several years.

yup-- supply and demand-- R134a is getting as steep as R12 :(............

almost!

My 92 A/C was recirculating room cabin air. I bought 1 12oz can of r12 on ebay, installed it and my non-contact thremometer shows as low as 35F at the left vent, 40F at the center console vent. One can for $30.00 and I'm chill'n.

Back